February 3rd, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Arcserve Announces New Unified Data Protection 7000 Appliance Series
Today Arcserve announced new series of converged solutions, the Unified Data Protection (UDP) 7000 Appliance series. Arcserve is calling this the “most cost-effective, ‘set and forget’ backup and recovery on the market.” We first announced here that Arcserve was extending its Unified Data Protection into the appliance market. The new series of appliances will leverage Arcserve’s proven UDP software into a cost-effective appliance aimed at small to medium businesses and mid-market enterprise.
Arcserve is billing their new appliance as an all-in-one and it does have quit a bit under the hood: cloud-native capabilities, global source-based deduplication, multi-site replication, tape support, and automated data recovery. The new appliances are powered by Arcserve UDP software with all the advanced features that entails. The appliances have a easy setup that are wizard driven, a person with no experience could have it setup and running in an hour and those with experience could have it running much quicker.
The UDP appliances are ideal for remote offices, primary backups, deduplication, disaster recovery, and can be used as a cloud gateway appliance. The appliances can replicate to centralized appliances, including those at cloud-hosted locations. All the new appliances are completely interoperable between UDP systems, can fit into traditional software/server UDP deployment with the same feature set, and is managed from the same console.
The Arcserve UDP 7000 Appliance series features include:
- 5 models in 3 capacities to protect from 1 up to 26 TB of source data
- Global deduplication, encryption, compression and WAN optimized replication
- New UDP wizard simplifies setup and shortens time to first backup to less than 15 minutes
- All the features and capabilities of Arcserve UDP Advanced Server Edition in a simple yet extremely powerful all-in-one appliance
- Leverages a combination of SATA, SAS and SSD drives for optimized performance
- Multiple offsite protection options including automatic replication to UDP appliance(s) residing in public or private clouds or secondary office sites or backing up appliance directly to tape
- Host-based, agentless backup for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V
- Assured Recovery options include local, remote or cloud virtual standby, bare metal recovery, granular application recovery or simple file recovery
Arcserve UDP 7000 Series Appliance specifications:
- 7100 | 7200 | 7200V | 7300 | 7300V
- Raw capacity: 3TB | 6TB | 6TB | 9TB | 9TB
- Usable backup capacity: 2.8TB | 5.8TB | 5.9TB | 8.8TB | 8.8TB
- Protected capacity: Up to 8TB | Up to 17TB | Up to 17TB | Up to 26TB | Up to 26TB
- Form Factor: 1U 19” rack mount
- Total System RAM: 16GB | 16GB | 32GB | 32GB | 48GB
- Both “V” models have up to 3 VMs for virtual standby
- SAS port for tape backup: none | 1 x IPASS | 1 x IPASS | 1 x IPASS | 1 x IPASS
- SSD for depulication hash tables: 120GB | 120GB | 120GB | 240GB | 240GB
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 1.7” x 17.2” x 25.6”
- Maximum Weight: 41lbs.
- Power supplies (single or redundant): 1 x 600W
- Power consumption (Watts at idle/load/startup): 93.4/116.5/143.3 | 122.6/164.5/145.4 | 122.6/164.5/145.4 | 129.4/187.6/152.4
- AC voltage & frequency range (50-60Hz): 100v-240v
- Warranty: 3-year
While the new appliances are aimed at SMB and lower mid-sized enterprise, there is definitely room for Arcserve to grow into larger markets. Estimated for a release in Spring of 2015, Arcserve will be releasing an elevated cloud service where customers can configure virtual cloud-hosted UDP appliances to which their on-premises physical appliance can be replicated.
Availability and pricing
The Arcserve UDP 7000 series appliance is available for pre-order now and will be available to the SMB market in North America in March 2015. In the Fall of 2015 the series will be available to other countries. The UDP 7000 series starts at $8495 for the 3TB model.