The Teac CD-W516EB is one of the most impressive CD-RWs we've tested. Its strengths include:
- Fastest read speeds of any tested burner
- Extremely quiet operation.
- Intelligent use of Zone CAV provides 95% of the DAE performance of a 40X CAV extractor with reduced RPMs on the outer portion of the disc.
- More thorough OPC check provides theoretically better burn quality.
- Fastest packet-writing performance we've tested.
- Very competitive pricing.
On the downside:
- Small buffer may mean more BURN-Proof activations with certain CD burning software packages.
- Slightly slower write times compared to the competition due to the triple OPC check.
- Dual LEDs are not labeled.
Overall, Teac's CD-W516EB is impressive enough to dethrone the Plextor on the SR Leaderboard. Its outstanding read speeds and near-silent operation more than make up for the small sacrifices in write performance that multiple OPC checks impart.