Specifications according to Lite-On:
- Maximum write speeds of 16X
- Maximum rewrite speeds of 10X
- Packet-writing speeds of 10X
- CD read speeds of 40X
- Digital audio extraction speeds not specified
- Buffer size not specified but software reports 2048 KB
- 120 ms average random access time
- ATAPI/DMA Mode 2 interface
- 1-year warranty
In addition, Lite-On reports support for over-burning and raw mode copying on their site. For more information, click here
to see their online product page.
The retail box contents:
- The drive
- Fold out installation guide
- Analog audio cable
- Four mounting screws
- Drive manual in .pdf format on installation CD
- DOS driver on installation CD
- Nero Burning ROM, InCD and Media Player
- 1 Lite-On 650 MB CD-R blank
- 1 Lite-On 650 MB CD-RW blank
Finally, the rest of the drive's vitals: The front face is generic with the exception of a printed "BURN-Proof 16x10x40x" on the right and a sticker on the left showing Lite-On's website address. The single LED shows green when reading and amber when writing. The light remains off when there is no disc in the drive or when there is a disc inside that's not being accessed. The rear of the drive includes a digital audio out in addition to standard optical drive connectors.
The drive arrived with firmware revision TS0L. Lite-On sent us the latest version (TS0T) prior to testing. This firmware revision recently became available on Lite-On's website. It may be downloaded here.
The LTR-16101B offers very quiet performance during both reads and writes. Unfortunately, the drive heats up quite a bit during extended use. While this doesn't adversely affect performance, those who strive to keep internal case temperatures at a minimum should keep it in mind.
Current online pricing is as low as $90 for the retail unit. In comparison, Teac's 16X retail box goes for $120 while Plextor's 16X retail unit sells for about $160. This prices the Lite-On well below the competition, threatening AOpen's bang-for-the-buck reputation.
CD-ROM Performance Results...