February 24th, 2014 by Josh Linden
Astute Networks Announces Updated ViSX G4 Appliances and Operating System
Astute Networks today announced ViSX G4 Performance Storage Appliances with increased capacity options and new support for OpenStack in cloud deployments as part of the updated ViSX OS version 5. The ViSX lineup of 2U rackmounted appliances are meant to accelerate virtual machine and application performance without extensive changes to existing storage infrastructure. ViSX G4 OS version 5 adds NFS v2, v3, and v4 protocols to existing iSCSI support.
According to Astute, ViSX G4 solutions can compete with hard drives in terms of cost-per-GB while beating HDD competitors in terms of IOPS per dollar, and can be used to accelerate virtual desktop environments. The Astute DataPump Engine is a proprietary technology that offloads and accelerates the TCP, iSCSI, and NFS network and storage protocols, and can be used with 1GbE and 10GbE infrastructure. According to Astute, the appliances can reach 140,000 IOPS of random or sequential read throughput and 90,000 IOPS of random or sequential write throughput.
ViSX Performance Storage Appliance Feature Overview
- 1TB to 45.6TB internal capacity
- 480GB, 960GB, 1.9TB add-on flash modules
- Hosts / Environments
- VMware ESX, ESXi Server
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV)
- Citrix XenServer
- Microsoft Hyper-V, Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012
- Any iSCSI Initiator or Unix, Linux, or Microsoft Windows-based Host
- OpenStack with Cinder Gasket
- (2) 10GbE ports, (4) 1GbE for data
- Dual redundant 1GbE maintenance ports
- Channel Bonding for Multi-Path Reliability
- Jumbo Frames & Selective ACK
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol or Static IP Assignment
- Static & Policy Based Routing
- Redundant, Hot-Swap Power Supplies, Fan Modules
- Redundant Network & Power Connections
- Overprovisioned, swappable Flash Modules with RAID and Hot Spare
- ViSX Synch & AsynchReplication, with link compression and encryption
- Rugged chassis for datacenter to factory floor deployments
ViSX appliances can be managed through a VMware vCenter plug-in tab for vSphere as well as the built-in FlashWRX web interface or a CLI interface. OpenStack Cinder is supported by ViSX as an iSCSI target and as an NFS server in current OpenStack releases (Grizzly, Havana) with support planned for the forthcoming Ice House OpenStack release.
The ViSX Performance Storage Appliance is available in capacities up to 45.6TB in a 2U chassis with add-on flash modules of 480GB, 960GB, and 1900GB.