March 3rd, 2014 by Lyle Smith
BAE TeraStar System For Commercial Customers Now Available
BAE Systems has announced the launch of its TeraStar system for commercial customers, which focuses on redefining the economics of big data storage. The TeraStar system is a data storage solution specifically designed to meet the big data storage needs of next-generation government and military all the while accommodating the cost and size needs of small to medium sized businesses as well as cloud-based storage providers.
TeraStar system’s unique engineering gives it the ability to store immense volumes of data at a minimal operational expense. This is achieved by its very small physical space requirement and power consumption that is less than traditional big data storage systems. Additionally, the system’s scalable, ultra-dense storage capacity allows for a competitive advantage to cloud-based storage providers by reducing the overall cost per terabyte of storage capacity. According to BAE, other single system commercial standard offerings typically require twice the rack space, utilize twice the power, and require more cooling to store the same amount of data. The TeraStar system’s design is also compatible with a wide range of storage media devices, which enables significant storage flexibility.
The company has leveraged its internally developed solution to support sensors such as ARGUS, the gigapixel-plus wide-area persistent surveillance sensor that BAE Systems created for the U.S. government. By not having to rely on the legacy designs of commercial, off-the-shelf systems, the TeraStar storage transfer and archive repository is able to tackle the specific needs of government and military operations and infrastructure.
TeraStar system specifications:
- Form factor: 3U (5.25” H x 17.5” W x 31” D)
- Weight per unit: (without media) 28 lbs
- Weight per unit: (with media) ~70 lbs
- Max power draw: 700 W
- Average power draw: ~575 W
- Available networking: 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s, 40 Gb/s
- JBOD disk compatible: Yes
- RAID volume compatible: 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, 50
- Total available hot-swap media bays: 32
- Fixed internal media bays: 2 x 3.5” and 2 x 2.5”
- Compatible disk capacity (TB): 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, +++
- SATA compatible standards: SATA I, SATA II, SATA III
- SAS compatible versions: SAS 3 Gb, SAS 6 Gb
- Mixed SATA and SAS compatible: Yes
- Storage capacity per unit: 128 TB
- Storage capacity per half rack: 1.02 PB
- Storage capacity per full rack: 1.67 PB