February 2nd, 2016 by Lyle Smith
Broadcom Announces 24-and 16-port HBA Models
Hot on the heels of Avago's acquision, Broadcom Limited has announced the addition of new 24-and 16-port models to their line of 12Gb/s SAS+SATA HBAs, all of which are designed to meet the needs of hyperscale data centers that deploy high-end server and storage systems. Named the Broadcom SAS 9305 series, the 12Gb/s 24-port model on a single chip is an industry first, offering users increased performance, extended system scalability and decreased per-port power consumption.
Broadcom indicates that their new SAS 9305 HBAs will allow OEMs and system builders to maximize connectivity and increase performance in addition to lowering costs, decreasing design footprint, and improving overall power efficiency.
The new 9305 HBAs include the 9305-24i, 9305-16e, and 9305-16i and feature the following:
- 24 internal or 16 external or internal 12Gb/s SAS+SATA ports with power consumption at less than 1w per port
- Support of up to x8 PCIe lanes at transfer rate up to 8.0 GT/s per lane
- PCI Express 3.0
- 12Gb/s data transfer rates
- Fourth-generation SAS 3224 and SAS 3216 SAS+SATA controllers
- Certified by Broadcom to support up to 1024 SSDs, HDDs, and tape drives
- Certified Broadcom OS Support for Microsoft Windows, Linux (SuSE, Red Hat), Solaris, VMware, FreeBSD
The SAS 9305-24i, 9305-16e, and 9305-16i HBAs are now available.