April 30th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Brocade Redefines Networking For IP Storage
Today Brocade announced the industry's first purpose-built storage connectivity portfolio for both data center and disaster recovery applications. Brocade claims this new portfolio will redefine networking for IP storage, helping enterprise IT teams manage growth, mitigate risk, and reduce costs. EMC will integrate this new technology into its Connectrix family of network switches and management software.
Ethernet networks weren't designed to address IP storage, however as IP storage needs grow the industry has to respond. Brocade's new portfolio aims to respond to the growing needs. The portfolio adds new technology and software to Brocade's existing products such as its VDX 6740 Switch and 7840 Extension Switch.
The new portfolio includes adding Fabric Vision Technology to its previously announced VDX 6740 Switch. Fabric Vision enables advanced policy-based monitoring and alerting. This technology enables IT to deploy a resilient and high-performance storage network through zero-touch, self-forming fabrics. Brocade's 7840 extension switch has also been enhanced to support IP, as well as Fibre Channel. This will increase connectivity for IP storage between data centers while enhancing security.
Brocade is also releasing a new version of its storage management suite software. The new version of the software has been enhanced to support the new portfolio. Brocade claims that its Network Advisor will provide unprecedented network visibility and insight across all storage networks, both IP and Fibre Channel. And users will have real-time analytics on fabric health and performance through integration with Fabric Vision Technology.
New technology and products include:
- Brocade VDX 6740 Switch
- Optimize storage performance with 2x on-chip buffering and patented load balancing and multipathing capabilities
- Integrate into EMC Connectrix Manager Converged Network Edition and EMC Storage Analytics
- Simplify the learning curve and lower OpEx with scale-out, plug-and-play, and logical chassis management
- Deploy native fabric automation and standards-based APIs for configuration and operational status
- Brocade Fabric Vision Technology
- Simplify monitoring with predefined policies, rules, and actions
- Increase availability through early detection and recovery from errors
- Improve OpEx savings through faster troubleshooting and automated actions
- Brocade 7840 IP Extension Switch
- Increase performance and scalability with more than 30 Gbps application throughput per platform
- Secure data flows over distance with 256-bit IPsec encryption without a performance penalty
- Improve load balancing and network resilience with Extension Trunking, Adaptive Rate Limiting and Fabric Vision technology
- Implement proactive monitoring between data centers to automatically detect WAN anomalies and avoid unplanned downtime
- Brocade Network Advisor
- Create dashboard views that display the most relevant and critical storage network metrics
- See real-time and historical event data, and quickly perform root-cause analysis
- Instantly view out-of-compliance conditions, congestion, and latency concerns on flows
- View statistics on time-based graphs and use dashboard playback to correlate trends
The Brocade IP storage portfolio will be available in the second quarter of 2015