November 1st, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Cisco Introduces New UCS S-Series Servers & Enterprise Cloud Suite
Today at the Cisco Partner Summit in San Francisco, Cisco introduced two new solutions to help enterprises tackle the emerging technologies such as Big Data, streaming media and collaboration applications, software-defined storage, and Cloud adoption. To address the data intensive workloads above, Cisco is introducing a new sever category in its Unified Computing System (USC) portfolio, the UCS S-Series. The UCS S-Series is designed specifically for uses such as Internet of Things (IoT), video, mobility, collaboration and analytics. Cisco is also introducing its new ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite to help companies utilize hybrid clouds more efficiently.
Data is becoming ever more important and being used in different ways. Data will no longer be warehoused or stored where it will be infrequently accessed. New applications will be generating data that needs to be actively processed meaning that traditional static IT infrastructure may be a hindrance. Insight and innovation can always be derived from data in this modern world and customers need to store this data.
The first server in the UCS S-Series is the UCS S3260 Storage Server. According to Cisco, the UCS S3260 will deliver the versatility, rapid scalability, and cloud connectivity customers need to transform their data into business intelligence and insights. The UCS S3260 has fully modular architecture, the first in the industry, and leverages the automation of UCS manager. The S3620 can sale up to 600TB per system (or up to Petabytes with UCS Manager), lowering the TCO by over 50% compare to public cloud options. The S3260 also features cache acceleration and unified I/O connectivity for any type of data storage.
Benefits of the UCS S3260 over traditional servers:
- Reduces CapEx by 34%
- Lowers ongoing management by 80%
- Reduces cabling by 70%
- Takes up 60% less space
- Consumes 59% less power
Another aspect of gaining insights from the new massive amounts of data is leverage the hybrid cloud. Cisco states that its new ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite is a hybrid cloud software solution that offers freedom of choice for application teams and delivers a self-service portal that can be tailored for end users, application developers and IT professionals. Users will be able to deliver hybrid cloud automation across their entire organization. ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite offers over twenty different data center, private and public cloud environments with different subscription licenses to help customer choose the correct type for their environment.
The ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite has four offers, which can be used singly or in any combination.
- Infrastructure Automation: for consistent and faster delivery of error-free infrastructure environments to business and application teams. This provides faster time to market.
- Service Management: Empowers customers with self-service order and service management through a simple, intuitive user interface
- Cloud Management: enables faster time to market while reducing development costs by modeling application profiles once and deploying to multiple hybrid environments
- Big Data Automation: drives consistency with one-click installation, provisioning and deployment of Hadoop and Splunk clusters. Reduces risk with near real-time diagnostics and historical analysis.
The Cisco UCS S3260 will be available on November 7.