October 17th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
Commvault Launches HyperScale Appliance & Software
Today Commvault launched two new secondary storage offerings, Commvault HyperScale Appliance and Commvault HyperScale Software. According to the company, these new offerings provide simplicity, elasticity, resiliency, flexibility and scale for managing secondary data while fitting a wide range of customer needs and environments. The new solutions will be offered as either all-in-one appliance or a reference architecture, allowing customers to pick the best fit for their organization.
IT has been moving toward a hybrid environment across the board. Noting this, Commvault is releasing its Commvault HyperScale Software to both protect and move workloads across various infrastructures. The offerings take Commvault Data Platform and bring scale-out infrastructure to it in order to seamlessly integrate with storage arrays, hypervisors, applications and the full range of cloud provider solutions. The new offerings leverage a built-in operating environment, virtualization, and storage technologies from Red Hat providing a robust, enterprise-grade foundation.
Another emerging issue to enterprises in the amount of secondary data and how to manage, store, and protect it. Customers can gain quite a bit of insight from secondary data so they don’t want to send it off to cheap archive media. At the same time it isn’t critical to day-to-day operations so it doesn’t need to be on the higher end media either. Using its enterprise-scale coverage with an integrated modern scale-out approach, Commvault aims to deliver customers a unified, modern data protection and management platform for secondary storage.
The Commvault HyperScale Appliance is an all-in-one solution for customers looking for the appliance and software and/or ease of deployment with a pre-designed, built, and supported solution. Built on Commvault's technology, the appliance is a highly differentiated data infrastructure solution that tightly integrates compute, storage, networking, virtualization, backup and recovery, full lifecycle data management and analytics into a single platform across the data center and in the cloud.
The appliance can also be used for remote offices, branch offices and data centers to protect and manage data. With usable storage ranging from 32Tb to 80TB, plus the ability to scale out in any number of configurations, the appliance can meet most customers demands. The solution is also offered in a subscription pricing approach, giving customers a hardware refresh over the life of the appliance’s deployment, keeping up with new entrants to the market.
For customers that already have hardware, or a particular vendor in mind, Commvault also offers Commvault HyperScale Software. Initial program participants include: Fujitsu, Cisco, Lenovo, HPE, Super Micro Computer, Huawei and Dell-EMC. Much like the appliance, the software is tested configurations that provide validated designs complemented by best-practice configurations. Commvault states that its HyperScale Software can accelerate ROI, reduce complexity and add greater customer value.
- Agility, resiliency and availability to on-premises data and applications
- Simple to setup, manage and upgrade
- Modular scale to grow with the needs of the business; Non-disruptive capacity and performance expansion
- Built-in resiliency (erasure-coding with no single point of failure),
- Includes the Commvault Data Platform’s high availability and disaster recovery capabilities, and its simply powerful automation, orchestration and self-service capabilities
- Streamlined Support from Commvault; Centralized patch management; Active monitoring
- Better TCO versus legacy scale-up solutions with lower procurement cost & operational overhead
- Scale out capacity to multi-10s+ PBs
- Powerful new scale-out opportunities combined with data management and protection, utilization and movement enable systems consolidation and the elimination of point-product solution silos
Commvault HyperScale Appliance and Commvault HyperScale Software are available now directly through Commvault or its resellers.