October 1st, 2013 by Mark Kidd
Dell Announces DR4100 NetVault-Integrated Backup Appliance
Dell has announced that its DR4100 disk backup appliance will leverage the DR4100’s Rapid Data Access (RDA) technology to integrate with NetVault Backup, Dell’s enterprise data protection solution, with Dell vRanger integration expected for the DR4100 early next year. The combined solution enables NetVault clients to make use of the DR4100’s built-in deduplication, compression, and other storage management capabilities while utilizing NetVault to orchestrate backup, replication, and recovery tasks.
Benchmarks of the integrated solution conducted by ESG Lab with multiple backup streams achieved a 7.5TB per hour ingest rate. The DR4100 appliance’s deduplication and compression technology also translates into reduced network utilization and time required for replication of protected data to off-site locations. ESG Lab test results indicate that the DR4100's deduplication can reduce the combined solution's storage footprint by up to 91 percent.
DR4100 Backup Appliance Overview
- Powered by a 12G Dell PowerEdge
- Available in 9TB, 18TB, and 27TB post-RAID capacities
- Compressed and encrypted replication between DR4xxx systems
- Non-disruptive deployment
- Integrated inline, content-aware target-based deduplication & compression at a 15:1 ratio
- WAN-efficient, deduplicated 32:1 replication
- Many-to-one replication for disaster recovery
- All-inclusive licensing
- Backup software certifications:
- EMC NetWorker
- Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)
- CA ArcServe
The new solution allows users to schedule and manage DR4100 replication from the NetVault Backup console and simplifies replicating backup data from multiple DR4100 appliances to a single target, which can also be archived to tape. As part of the announcement, Dell reports that it is developing a similar integration between the DR4100 and Dell’s vRanger VM backup, replication, and recovery solution which is expected in the first quarter of 2014.