February 12th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
Dell Announces Secure, Cost-Effective Thin Client and Infrastructure Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and vWorkspace
Dell has announced the expansion of its Cloud Client-Computing solutions portfolio to include support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and vWorkspace. This combines existing infrastructure offerings for Windows Server 2012 R2 and vWorkspace into a single, end-to-end Hyper-V based desktop virtualization solution. This new reference architecture starts at under $250 a seat, including datacenter infrastructure, licensing and a three year ProSupport subscription, and is designed to provide organizations with integrated infrastructure options that deliver performance, agility, and efficiency. It also ensures enterprise-level VDI features for one of the lowest price-per-seat solutions available today.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace is a highly flexible and economical solution that can scale from ten to tens of thousands of seats. Additionally, it is specifically designed for organizations looking to leverage their datacenter investment and existing expertise in Microsoft infrastructure in order to provide their workers with secure and flexible access to data and applications all the while simplifying management and improving data security, control, and compliance.
The solution also supports large variety of audio and graphics applications, giving IT departments the ability to virtualize more applications. Some of these include unified communications on Microsoft Lync 2013 and virtualized shared graphics with AMD FireProTM S9000, S7000 and W7000 cards. The centrally hosted virtualized environment allows users to experience virtually no difference between applications running locally or virtualized. In addition, IT managers are able to optimize IT resources while providing a more effective application and system support and data security, all from a single management console.
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and Intel Ivy Bridge processors delivers user density up to 225 users per R720 server, set up either as RDSH, pooled or persistent Windows 8.1 VMs
- Support for Microsoft RemoteFX (RDP), with support for a broad range of RDP 8.0 features
- Support for affordable personal desktops with a persistent profile, taking advantage of Windows Server 2012 R2 built-in active data deduplication feature
- Unified communications support with the Microsoft Lync 2013 VDI plug-in for Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8 end points increases user productivity without affecting server user density
- Virtualized shared graphics using AMD FireProTM S9000, S7000 & W7000 server GPUs providing up to 85 Shared Graphics users per R720 server
- New VDI features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services including support for iOS, Mac OS and Android end points
- Enhancements through RemoteFX, DirectX, quick reconnect and visual application appearance
- Optional Dell vWorkspace 8.0 MR1 desktop virtualization software for expanded client support, legacy applications and OS’s, and performance monitoring
With its high-user density, optimized licensing price structure, data deduplication in Windows Server 2012 R2, Dell enables a low cost per VDI seat, which reduces storage space requirements up to 93 percent on persistent desktops, as well as low IOPS requirements. IT employees can also provision 150 Windows 8.1 Virtual Machines in only 26 minutes using vWorkspace HyperCache and HyperDeploy, resulting in significant infrastructure savings while increasing the speed of deployment.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace offers support for end points running most operating systems. As a result, this makes it ideal for true BYOD and provides a choice of application virtualization delivery mechanisms without the need for forklift conversion, as the solution works on Windows Servers 2003 to 2012 R2.
The optional vWorkspace component is highly recommended for increased scalability for deployments up to tens of thousands of seats. It allows customers to quickly troubleshoot VM problems with built-in diagnostics and monitoring functions (formerly Foglight for Virtual Desktops). It also speeds VM deployments and reduces storage costs and comes with additional support for Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V. Additionally, it adds support for extended end-point connectors and multi-tenancy with no AD Trust Requirements. vWorkspace installs seamlessly using the same hardware configuration used for Windows Server 2012 R2.
Also announced by Dell is the addition of the Dell Wyse thin client desktop 3012–T10D, which features a unique combination of high performance, security, and economy in a compact thin client certified for the new Windows Server and vWorkspace infrastructure. The new thin client provides an exceptional Citrix, Microsoft, VMware and Dell vWorkspace VDI user experience as well as an instant-on experience from power-on to fully functioning desktop in less than 9 seconds. The 3012-T10D runs Dell Wyse ThinOS and features a completely “hands-off” out-of-box automatic setup, configuration, and management. It also features the premiere virus- and malware-immune thin client OS with AES disk encryption and zero attack surface.
Dell’s new 3012-T10D is the world’s first Microsoft RemoteFX certified ARM SoC thin client. It also supports RDP 8.0 and delivers the following features:
- Marvell PXA2128 1.2 GHz Dual Core ARM SoC processor
- Certified for Microsoft RemoteFX (RDP), supporting a broad range of RDP 8.0 features
- Optimized Citrix HDX Receiver provides an excellent user experience including remote and work from home users. 4GB3 Flash and 2GB4 DDR3 RAM memory
- Connections including dual DVI, four USB ports, Gigabit Ethernet and optional dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 A/B/G/N with up to 300 Mbps connection speeds
- Built-in media processor to deliver smooth multimedia, bi-directional audio and Flash playback.
- Multiple management options including cloud-based management with remote imaging through the Dell Wyse Cloud Client Manager service, enterprise management with the optional Dell Wyse Device Manager, and the simple and easy to use file system configurations provide robust and flexible management and configuration choices.
- Flexible mounting options enable vertical horizontal, desk, wall or behind display positioning, and a VESA stand is included standard.
- Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace and the Dell Wyse thin client desktop 3012-T10D are available today via direct and channel partners in 48 countries worldwide.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace and the Dell Wyse thin client desktop 3012-T10D are now available through direct and channel partners in 48 countries worldwide.