October 19th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Dell EMC Extends User Experience To SC Series
Today at Dell EMC World 2016, Dell EMC announced that it is extending capabilities in its mid-market storage arrays, the SC Series formally Compellent. The SC Series will now be interoperable with storage management, mobility and data protection solutions formerly only available to EMC customers. One of the key advantages to the Dell EMC merger is flexibility for customers. Today’s announcement furthers this flexibility enabling customers to mix and match legacy Dell and EMC storage products and services.
Dell EMC takes the idea of flexibility and pushes its boundaries by extending features traditionally thought of as being created for larger enterprises and extending them to the mid-market through the SC Series. Dell EMC said that the new capabilities would help to automate storage management, provisioning and mobility across legacy Dell and EMC storage platforms. The company also stated that SC Series customers also gain access to industry-leading data protection technologies designed to protect business-critical data and applications from outages and enable customers to manage, visualize performance and capacity, analyze configurations for compliance and plan for expected growth.
The coverage extends to:
- Storage Management and Mobility
- Dell EMC ViPR Suite: comprised of ViPR Controller and ViPR Storage Resource Management (SRM), provides automated insight and action designed for heterogeneous storage arrays
- Dell EMC Intelligent Data Mobility (IDM): enables smooth and seamless migration to newer systems at a fixed proportional rate
- Dell EMC PowerPath: high-performance multipath software automates data path management, failover and recovery, and optimizes load balancing to ensure application availability and performance, unlike most native operating system multiple path I/O (MPIO) functions
- Dell EMC VPLEX: delivers continuous availability and data mobility to ensure uptime for mission-critical applications and now offers twice the performance, a cost-effective All-Flash solution and full support for the SC Series
- Dell EMC CloudArray: cloud-integrated storage extends on-premise storage arrays to cost-effective cloud capacity.
- Data Protection
- Dell EMC Data Domain: the industry’s #1 Purpose Built Backup Appliance delivers leading performance and efficiency for de-duplicated backup and recovery of data on SC Series arrays
- Dell EMC Data Protection Suite for Backup featuring Avamar and NetWorker: offers high performance backup and recovery for SC arrays including de-duplication backup to Data Domain, backup to disk, backup to tape, and long term retention to cloud as well as comprehensive backup monitoring, analysis and reporting
- RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines: a simple, efficient operational and disaster recovery solution for virtualized applications in VMware environments.
The storage management, data protection and mobility products are available now for the SC Series. ViPR SRM and PowerPath support will be available by the end of 2016.