October 30th, 2012 by Lyle Smith
Emulex OneCore Storage Software Development Kit Announced
Emulex Corporation has announced the OneCore Storage software development kit (SDK), a new solution for independent hardware vendors (IHVs), independent software vendors (ISVs), and system integrators developing storage, flash/SSD, and application and networking appliance solutions that require low latency and high performance I/O connectivity. The Emulex OneCore Storage SDK contains a collection of high performance initiator and target driver source code, documentation, training and support. This gives IHVs/ISVs the ability to leverage the Emulex Engine (XE) 201 converged fabric controller technology, which is capable of 8GB and 16GB Fibre Channel (8GFC and 16GFC) and 10GB Ethernet (10GBE), Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and iSCSI I/O connectivity, within their own storage networking solutions.
Built on Emulex's code base, OneCore Storage SDK simplifies and accelerates the process of developing storage solutions, using an extensible, modular framework and architecture. Leveraging a simple click-through end-user licensing agreement streamlines the procurement of the tool kit. Additionally, the Emulex OneCore Storage SDK is packaged with the SDK device driver source code, release notes, documentation, training, access to a developer portal, and a community support forum.
Key benefits of the OneCore Storage Developers program include:
- Elastic Driver Development Approach: IHVs/ISVs can leverage the Emulex target and initiator reference drivers in several ways: as the foundation of their driver, utilizing specific layer(s) as the building block for their driver, or as reference code for their own driver development. The OneCore Storage SDK also provides a common driver framework and architecture that will support all storage protocols (FC, FCoE and iSCSI).
- Extensible Modular Driver Architecture: The Emulex OneCore Storage SDK has been designed from the ground up to be protocol and operating system agnostic. This unique driver architecture provides a clean, easily understood reference driver which can be used by customers as the foundation or as a building block for their driver. The OneCore Storage SDK consists of Emulex's Service Level Interface (SLI), Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL), transport code and abstracted OS interfaces for OS-specific implementations. The OneCore Storage SDK also contains a SCSI-like API for back-end target and initiator connectivity.
- Ideal for Storage, Flash Array and Appliance Vendors: With its 16GFC adapters capable of more than 1.2 million I/O operations per second (IOPS) on a single port, developers can leverage Emulex FC and FCoE technology to power their SSD/flash-based storage appliances, and take advantage of the performance and management characteristics needed to support virtualized servers and cloud deployments.
- Broad Platform Support: OneCore Storage includes both Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux [RHEL] 6.2) and FreeBSD 9.0 SDKs. Additionally, the OS agnostic design gives developers the option of porting the drivers to other OSes.
- Flexible Back-end Support: The OneCore Storage SDK architecture allows customers to utilize their own customer-specific back-end or standard Linux or FreeBSD back-ends.
- Advanced Standards Support: OneCore Storage SDK drivers provide support for advanced standards such as N_Port Identification Virtualization (NPIV), which allows users to maintain SAN best practices within a virtualized environment, and T10 Protection Information (T10 PI), providing enhanced data protection against silent data corruption.