August 11th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
HP Releases New Products, Services, & Programs Centered Around Big Data
Today at HP Big Data Conference 2015 in Boston, HP announced several new products, services, and developer programs that are aimed at helping businesses leverage big data and big data analytics. HP is announcing a new release of Vertica, code named Excavator, support for open technologies, and a new Haven Startup Accelerator program. These new releases will help companies gain new insights, run more efficiently, and develop new products.
The latest release of HP Vertica will feature data streaming and advanced log file text search to power high-speed analytics on Internet of Things (IoT) data. HP Vertica will have the fastest SQL database, Excavator, which capabilities include:
- Data streaming analytics - Excavator will offer native support for the Apache Kafka open source distributed messaging system to enable organizations to quickly ingest and analyze high-speed streaming data, including Internet of Things, in near real-time. This capability delivers actionable insight for a wide range of use cases, including manufacturing process control, supply chain optimization, healthcare monitoring, financial risk management, and fraud detection.
- Advanced Machine Log Text Search - Excavator will enable organizations to collect and index large log file data sets generated by systems and business applications, helping IT organizations to quickly identify and predict application failures and cyber-attacks, and investigate authorized and unauthorized access.
HP announced support for and contributions to open source technologies, including optimized Hadoop performance, integration with the Apache Kafka distributed messaging system, and advancements in Distributed Rpredictive analytics. This will enable businesses to combine the innovation of open source with the enterprise-scale, reliability, and security of HP's Big Data platform. The new support and contributions include:
- HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop native file support - the new version of Vertica brings significant increase in performance on popular Hadoop formats like ORC and Parquet. Specifically, HP worked collaboratively with Hortonworks to develop a new high-performance access layer that enables SQL queries to run directly on ORC files, resulting in a 5x increase in execution times.
- HP Vertica Flex Zone Table Library - HP has open sourced its innovative Flex Table "schema on-need" technology to the global developer community. With this move, organizations will be able to fully harness virtually any form of semi-structured data to meet their unique needs.
- Native Integration with Apache Spark - HP announced its future commitment to integrate Vertica with Apache Spark. This will enable accelerated data transfer between Vertica and Spark, allowing organizations to take full advantage of their Spark-based deployments. This future capability will enable the developer community to build their models in Spark and run them in Vertica for high-speed and sophisticated analytics.
HP’s Haven Startup Accelerator is a program that aims to support and expand HP's ecosystem of developers and innovators by making HP Big Data and Application Delivery Management software products accessible to early-stage companies. Some of the benefits of the program include:
- Free usage of the community versions of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with expanded capacity.
- Premium version of HP IDOL and HP Vertica with attractive pricing
- HP Application Delivery Management tools including HP Agile Manager, HP LeanFT, and HP LoadRunner.
Along with the Haven Startup Accelerator program, HP announced a framework of technology designed to accelerate the development of next-generation analytical applications. This framework extends the HP Haven Big Data Platform with quick-start visualization, syndicated data feeds, open on-premise and cloud-based APIs.
HP Haven Big Data offerings are expected to be available in the fall of 2015.