June 19th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
HPE Announces New HPC & AI Solutions
Today at the ISC HPC conference in Frankfurt, Germany, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) announced new High Performance Computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI) systems, software and services aimed at accelerating scientific, engineering, and business innovation. These new systems will include the HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10, HPE SGI 8600 and HPE Apollo 10 Series. According to HPE, the new systems are workload-optimized to deliver faster, more efficient insights while reducing vulnerability to cyber-attacks and improving economic control.
Data is growing at an explosive rate but that is just one of many issues facing the industry. The increasingly complex algorithms for HPC and AI are also creating a huge demand for scalable processing performance. These demands are creating the need for expansion and flexibility in several areas including storage, compute performance, and agility. To top it off, organizations want security and lower power consumption and a smaller footprint. HPE’s new solutions are designed to address all of these issues.
The new systems include:
- HPE SGI 8600 System – The first co-created system since HPE acquired SGI, the HPE SGI 8600 is a liquid cooled petascale system, based on the legacy SGI ICE XA architecture, purpose-built to solve the most complex scientific, engineering and national security challenges and:
- Delivers industry’s fastest parallel processing performance
- Scales to more than 10,000 nodes without additional switches using integrated switches and hypercube technology
- Offers more choice and flexibility based on industry standards
- HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System – The next generation of HPE’s large commercial, air-cooled, HPC platform was redesigned to deliver over 300 teraflops per rack, higher rack-scale efficiency and exceptional price performance. The HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 is also the most secure HPC system in the world leveraging a unique “silicon root of trust” technology for security threat protection. Key new capabilities of this system include:
- Industry leading reliability, accessibility, serviceability and manageability
- Greater application licensing efficiency
- Reduced latency and higher IOPs performance
- Reduced power consumption and cooling requirements
- HPE Apollo 10 Series – New cost effective platforms, optimized for entry level Deep Learning and AI applications that are easy to manage and deploy. The HPE Apollo sx40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 NVIDIA Tesla SXM2 GPUs with NVLink. The HPE Apollo pc40 System is a 1U dual socket Intel Xeon Gen10 server with support for up to 4 PCIe GPU cards.
- HPE and Biovista Collaboration – This collaboration will leverage HPE’s Compute capabilities and Biovista's Big Data AI engine, Project Prodigy, to identify and validate new therapeutic options for personalized medicine, and apply this approach at the community hospital setting, including in Biovista’s existing collaborations with community hospitals.
Along with the systems announced above, HPE is also announcing a new compute experience for HPC and AI. This new experience will address the data intense needs of HPC and AI customers. Key elements include:
- Enhanced firmware security – Designed to protect top secret, highly confidential information, HPE offers the industry’s first industry standard servers with firmware anchored into the silicon with the highest level of security, according to the Commercial National Security Algorithms.
- Increased agility with software defined HPC capabilities - The new HPE Performance Software Suite for HPC consists of the following elements:
- HPEPerformanceSoftware-CoreStack2.2-pre-built HPC solution that brings together open source, third party and HPE built components into a single integrated distribution.
- HPEInsightClusterManagementUtility8.2andNewHPE SGI Management Suite 3.5 – comprehensive system management solutions offering enhanced provisioning, management and monitoring to simplify operations.
- HPE Performance Software – Message Passing Interface – libraries and optimization tools to enhance HPC application performance.
- Validated, optimized and integrated third party software solutions for workload management and application software development to enhance agility and productivity.
- New and Enhanced Services for HPC and AI – HPE Pointnext is introducing advisory, professional, and operational services that accelerate time to value for HPC and AI. HPE Flexible Capacity will extend to HPC and AI customers to manage unpredictable demand, raise utilization levels, and reduce total cost of ownership.
HPE Apollo 6000 Gen10 System, HPE Apollo sx40, HPE Apollo pc40, HPE SGI 8600 System are expected to be available in July 2017. HPE Pointnext services for these new HPC and AI solutions will be available later this year.