July 18th, 2012 by Mark Kidd
Icy Dock Dual-Bay 2.5” Drive Backplane with Slim Optical Drive Slot Announced
Icy Dock has announced the MB994IPO-3SB, a dual-bay SATA/SAS mobile rack backplane with a slim optical disk drive (ODD) slot, for use in a single 5.25" device bay. Dual 4-pin power connectors support low-power SATA SSDs or more demanding 15000 RPM SAS hard drives.
The MB994IPO-3SB utilizes Icy Dock’s EZ Slide Mini Trays with a full cage design and top drive cover that provides protection while transporting the drive. The trays are designed to accommodate 9.5mm, 12.5mm & 15mm drives and are interchangeable with the trays in Icy Dock’s MB991IK-B, MB994SP-4S, and MB994SP-4SB-1.
The MB994IPO-3SB’s slim ODD slot uses a metal EZ-ODD tray and is removed with a provided key or via side latch. Fan control allows the fan to be left off when an SSD is used to reduce noise. Icy Dock’s Active Power Technology means that the device and fan only power up if a drive is installed.
- Color: Matte Black
- Host Interface: 7 pin SATA x 4
- Drive Capacity: 2.5" SAS / SATA HDD or SSD x 2 plus slim ODD x 1
- Drive Bay: Single 5.25" half height device bay
- Insert & extract connection via: Direct SATA connection
- Construction: Aluminum & SECC
- Device Power: Dual 4 pin Molex power
- Cooling: 40mm rear cooling fan with fan power switch
- Dimension (L x W x H): 6.70" x 5.75" x 1.63"
- Weight: 1.77 lbs
The estimated release rate for the MB994IPO-3SB is July 31, 2012.