October 5th, 2012 by Lyle Smith
Icy Dock MB153SP-B SATA Internal RAID Backplane Released
Icy Dock has announced the MB153SP-B, a 3-in-2 SATA internal RAID backplane for 3.5" SATA hard drives. The MB153SP-B is the lite version of the MB45X series, removing the monitoring features and reducing the overall cost, but keeping the 3 year warranty and core tray system for hot swapping and maintenance.
The backplane module allows up to 3 x 3.5" SATA III hard drives within two 5.25" bays. Additionally, it has been redesigned so that it now uses 15 pin SATA power to provide better accessibility for various host systems.
In addition to being lighter, the cooling has been improved to provide better air flow to hard drives and its full metal body creates the most efficient heat dissipation possible in various types of applications. The improved direct air flow design allows the cooling fan to raise its efficiency to cool down hard drives by closing and rerouting any side vents to route incoming air directly to the cooling fan. It also seals any vents around the fan for better cooling efficiency. Additionally, the backplane logic PCB has larger vents in key areas, allowing more air to flow into and out of the MB153SP-B.
The 80mm cooling fan can be fully removed and replaced with aftermarket cooling fans (both 2 and 3 pin ) of the same size making it easy to replace and maintain. Users can use the same trays from previous models as the MB153SP-B uses the same interchangeable EZ-Tray as the MB45X, MB559 and MB561 series. The EZ-Tray accepts most 3.5" SATA hard drives and can be installed or removed to the device in two steps: by pressing the release button and pulling / pushing the lever. This allows for easy replacement in case of RAID failure or transporting of data.
Key features include:
- 3 in 2 RAID backplane module
- Fits three 3.5" SATA I / II / III (SATA 6Gbps) hard drives in two 5.25" device bay & fully supports SATA Hot-Swap function
- 80mm cooling fan with full metal body for excellent heat dissipation for the most intense applications
- Compact and space saving to fit multiple drives
- Interchangeable tray design with MB45X, MB559 & MB561 series
- Enhanced Direct Air Flow Design - Shuts off vents while adding larger ventilation on the backplane PCB
- Uses SATA 15 power ports for best compatibility with the newest power supplies
- LED hard drive status notification
- Active Power Technology (APT) - individual led & cooling fan only powers up if there is a drive installed in the bay
- Removable EZ-Tray design for internal drive security, exchangeability, expandability and maintenance capabilities
- Replaceable rear cooling fan for easy maintenance or aftermarket replacement with 2 and 3 pin power ports available
- ICY DOCK 3 year warranty equivalent to hard drive manufacturer warranty to ensure maximum reliability and long life
Pricing and Availability
The MB153SP-B is now available at the MSRP of $78.50.