April 17th, 2012 by Josh Linden
Infortrend EonStor DS G7 Series Announced
Infortrend has added a 6Gb/s SAS solution to the EonStor DS G7 series, the latest generation of its EonStor DS family of storage products. These new Direct Attached Storage (DAS) systems follow up on new fibre channel systems announced earlier in the year. The EonStor DS G7 provides throughput of up to 5,200 MB/s and support up to 400K IOPS, and customers can scale them to 240 disk drives in just 30U of rack space to flexibly meet business growth.
One of the limitations of DAS can be responding to increasing storage demands. The Infortrend EonStor DS G7 SAS RAID arrays are intended for these organizations, enabling them to push performance and scalability in their DAS infrastructures to levels previously unattainable with a DAS solution.
Performance, Footprint, and Power Consumption
Compared to the 40U of rack space that would be required to house 240 disk drives using traditional expansion enclosures, the EonStor DS G7 series offers a reduction in storage footprint of up to 25 percent, simplifying datacenter infrastructure and lowering total cost of ownership. The EonStor DS G7 SAS solutions also provide excellent data protection with snapshot and volume copy/mirror features.
EonStor DS G7 solutions include:
- DS S24F-R2850/S24F-G2850: 8Gb/s FC host connectivity, dual-redundant or single controller configuration, 4U/24-bay form factor, scalability up to 232 drives.
- DS S16F-R2850/S16F-G2850: 8Gb/s FC host connectivity, dual-redundant or single controller configuration, 3U/16-bay form factor, scalability up to 240 drives.
- DS S12F-R2850/S12F-G2850: 8Gb/s FC host connectivity, dual-redundant or single controller configuration, 2U/12-bay form factor, scalability up to 228 drives.
- Volume copy/Volume mirror: Supports data availability and quick restart after accidents
- 6Gb/s SAS host ports: Best-in-class throughput power; ideal for bandwidth-demanding applications.
- Green design: Intelligent multi-level drive spin-down technology; PLUS-certified power supplies delivering more than 80% energy efficiency.
- CacheSafe technology: Backup battery supplies power to write cached data into flash module for permanent protection during power outages.
- Fault-tolerant hardware modules: Redundant controllers, PSUs, fans; high-availability hardware design, preventing a single point of failure.
- Expansion up to 240 HDDs: "Pay-as-you-grow" scalability.
- SANWatch management suite support: multi-pathing functions, management and monitoring of subsystems locally or remotely, recognizes and manages redundant paths; supports path failover and load-balancing.
- Multiple monitoring methods: Real-time problem detection and notification.