January 4th, 2011 by Charles Jefferies
Iomega Announces Personal Cloud Internet Storage Technology [CES 2011]
Iomega announced its latest storage technology, the Iomega Personal Cloud. The web-based service connects an Iomega Network-Attached Storage (NAS) server to the Internet, making it remotely accessible to yourself and selected others. Unlike other Cloud storage services, Personal Cloud is self-owned and there are no subscription fees or usage/service charges; Iomega includes free remote access. The only requirement for using the service is the purchase of an Iomega StorCenter network storage device.
Businesses and end consumers alike can take advantage of Personal Cloud; users can invite up to 250 people to use their device. Personal Cloud can be used to sync files, share files, transfer large files, and more. Data can be secured with 128-bit AES encryption while being transferred over the Internet.
Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition
Iomega Personal Cloud will launch with the company's new Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition. The single-drive external hard drive will be available in 1TB and 2TB capacities. A full list of features is as follows:
- Gigabit Ethernet connecting directly to your router
- Remote access from anywhere in the world
- UPnP DLNA Certified AV Media Server provides the ability to stream photos, audio content and videos to a variety of media devices, such as game consoles (Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3), audio bridges, iTunes players, networked TVs and digital picture frames, Iomega® ScreenPlay products and more.
- Automatically post files to your Facebook®, YouTube® & Flickr® accounts
- Device-to-device Copy Jobs for data protection allows you to define a job to copy and/or synchronize files to and from the connected USB drives or any other shared storage on your network.
- One-touch copying with the QuikTransfer button on the front panel.
- Low power, fan-less design, with drive spin-down feature
- Public cloud connections to Mozy and Amazon S3 online storage
- Two USB 2.0 ports to add storage capacity connecting external USB drives
- Device-to-device replication for data protection allows you to define a job to copy and/or synchronize files to and from the connected USB drives or any other shared storage on your network. Print Serving with intelligent print sharing capability for up to two USB printers.
- Time Machine support allows Apple users to easily backup any Mac computers running OS X (10.5 or later) using Time Machine.
- Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) provides no touch, automatic transfer of photos from digital cameras via one of the two USB ports.
The 1TB model will be MSRP $169.99 and the 2TB model $229.99.
The Iomega Personal Cloud will be available worldwide starting this month, beginning with the launch of the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition.