January 9th, 2012 by Lyle Smith
Iomega StorCenter ix2 Network Storage Announced
Iomega Corporation, innovator in data storage solutions for small and medium businesses (SMBs), have announced the new Iomega StorCenter ix2 Network Storage, an advanced two-bay desktop network storage device. The ix2 is available in multiple configurations and is designed specifically for content sharing, data protection, cloud computing, and video surveillance applications at small businesses, work groups, remote offices, and distributed enterprises.
The StorCenter ix2 features many advanced business capabilities including out-of-the-box video surveillance for up to five IP camera installations. Its Personal Cloud technology features simplicity and versatility for data sharing and protection without any monthly fees or service costs. In addition, users have their choice of cloud backup capability with Mozy, Amazon S3 and EMC Atmos-enabled cloud backup services offered by service providers.
The StorCenter ix2 Network Storage offers users three different models: a diskless unit that populates the device according users’ specific storage needs; a partially populated model with one drive (in capacities of 1TB, 2TB or 3TB) with the choice of increasing storage capacity over time; and a fully populated unit with two drives (capacities of 2TB, 4TB or 6TB) for immediate RAID mirroring data protection and other multi-drive network storage capabilities.
The StorCenter ix2 uses a download-only setup process with software that can be set up in a matter of minutes. It also uses EMC LifeLine software, a fully-developed Linux operating environment that incorporates select EMC storage technologies, which is typically available only for enterprise-level customers.
Some of the StorCenter ix2 features include:
- RAID 1 (mirrored) data protection with a fully-populated two-drive configuration.
- User replaceable hard drives for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Automatic setup of Iomega QuikProtect backup software for simplified PC and Mac computer backups.
- Iomega Personal Cloud for the most economical way to protect, share and access your data from anywhere in the world (Internet access required).
- Video surveillance IP camera support out of the box. (See below for more details.)
- Iomega Link for iOS devices provides a convenient remote iPhone and iPad connection to your data.
- VMware and XenServer certified for virtual desktop implementations.
- Easy to setup device-to-device data replication with two Iomega StorCenter units.
- Expandability of storage capacity by connecting external USB hard drives.
- Native Time Machine support for use with Apple Mac backup.
- iSCSI target provides block-level access for most efficient storage utilization.
- Folder quotas, Windows Active Directory Service and more.
The StorCenter’s new storage device features always-on and accessible network storage for small camera count installations and has built-in support for up to five UPnP network cameras by Axis, Bosch, or Panasonic. IP security cameras record and store video directly to the StorCenter ix2 in MPEG-4 format without the need of a dedicated PC; this allows users fast playback of video surveillance footage and live-view camera support with the ability automatically delete video files after a scheduled date or file size limit.
Included is the embedded Axis Video Hosting Service (AVHS) for local-to-hosted cloud-based management of video cameras and storage of surveillance content. In addition, users have the option to download MindTree SecureMind video service management software.
All Iomega StorCenter ix2 Network Storage models are expected to be available worldwide this February. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the diskless model; partially-populated models are $249.99 for 1TB capacity, $349.99 for 2TB, and $449.99 for 3TB capacity; fully-populated models is priced at $419.99 for a 2TB capacity, $579.99 for 4TB, and $769.99 for 6TB capacity. The Iomega StorCenter ix2 series includes a standard three-year limited warranty.