December 8th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
Marvell 88NV1140 and 88NV1120 DRAM-less NVMe SSD Controllers Announced
Marvell has announced the 88NV1140 and 88NV1120, the first DRAM-less NVMe SSD controllers for mass market mobile computing solutions with NANDEdge low-density parity check (LDPC) technology supporting TLC and 3D NAND. Marvell’s new performance-heavy controllers allow for small form factor SSD solutions, which can integrate into low-z-height tablets, Chrome devices, and the upcoming new 2-in-1 hybrid/detachable mobile PC platforms.
The small 8x8mm per package form factor of Marvell’s 88NV1140 and 88NV1120 allows for SSD drives as small as M.2 2230 (30 mm in length). In addition, the new controllers make way for the development of an NVMe BGA or SATA BGA SSD running on embedded SRAM through multiple-chip-package (MCP) integration with NAND. The 88NV1140 and 88NV1120 controllers also use 28 nm low-power CMOS process node technology, which enable Marvell to claim best-in-class active power, all the while supporting the low power modes (L1.2 for PCIe and DevSlp for SATA devices). Both new controllers use Marvell’s third-generation NANDEdge error-correction technology.
By developing single code for NANDEdge, SSD firmware developers have the ability to leverage one code to the other for advanced error-correcting technology in data integrity, endurance and reliability. Additionally, with Marvell’s use of NANDEdge LDPC technology, the controllers can support 15/16nm TLC and 3D NAND, which results in low enabling cost of TLC and 3D NAND. The NVMe design has also passed in-house SSD validation as well as third-party operating system and platform compatibility testing.
Marvell 88NV1140 and 88NV1120 features include:
- AHCI and NVMe support over PCIe Gen3x1
- Fully hardware automated NVMe 1.1b support
- Low power management (L1.2) design
- SATA 6Gb/s support
- TA DevSlp support
- 88NV1140 and 88NV1120:
- Powerful Dual core Cortex R5 CPU’s
- Embedded SRAM with hardware accelerators to optimize IOPS performance
- ONFI3 and Toggle2 NAND support
- NANDEdge error-correction: 15nm TLC and 3D NAND support using LDPC technology to boost endurance and reliability
- BGA SSD and M.2/2.5 slim form factor support with thermal optimization and small package size
- 28nm low power CMOS process