January 6th, 2013 by Lyle Smith
Marvell DragonFly NVDRIVE Announced
Marvell has announced the availability of the Marvell DragonFly NVDRIVE, a turnkey enterprise-class PCIe SSD caching solution with built-in SSD modules, extending the DragonFly NVCACHE and NVRAM adapter product offerings. The NVDRIVE is targeted for large-scale Internet and cloud computing datacenters while significantly scaling bare metal and virtualized server applications, such as Web servers, OLTP and analytic databases, as well as to NoSQL and big data distributed applications.
The DragonFly NVDRIVE is built with Marvell’s storage SoC technology. In addition, it merges large capacity non-volatile DRAM with onboard SSD modules, which allows for 100 times higher performance (compared to traditional disk-based solutions) for both random read- and write-heavy application workloads. Automated caching also removes the guesswork, maintenance, and high capital costs that are normally required by manual data tiering methods. DragonFly writeback caching is powered by ARM-based storage processors, which gives storage administrators the ability to configure granular cache policies at either a file or block level.
With its intelligent RAID software and peer-to-peer synchronous mirroring, data protection and reliability are ensured while preventing data loss against any failure point, whether it's by server, adapter, SSD module or NAND components. Additionally, an ultra-thin filter driver located on Linux or Xen is transparent to applications and supports caching across all storage protocols, such as SCSI (local DAS), NFS, iSCSI, FCoE and FCP.
Feature highlights of the Dragonfly NVDRIVE include:
- Up to 1.5 TB of useable SSD capacity with the industry’s largest integrated non-volatile DRAM cache.
- Highly predictable performance across mixed write/read workloads. Cache mode sustained performance exceeds 200,000 4K random IOPS, 3GB/s throughput and sub-10us average latency.
- Enterprise-class embedded write-back cache software. Simple, smart and fully automated.
- Robust data protection, including RAID and HA peer-to-peer synchronous mirroring software.
- Rich command line interface (CLI) and cache policies for granular file/block object level configurations.
- Application-transparent OS filter driver supports all major protocols – SCSI, iSCSI, NFS, FCoE and FCP.
- Hypervisor integration enables virtual machine migration, HA, snapshots, clones and more.
- Fully integrated DragonFly Manager for GUI-based administration and performance monitoring.
The Marvell DragonFly NVDRIVE will be sampling in the latter part of the first quarter with OEM and cloud computing customers and is available in 750GB and 1.5TB capacity points. Pricing starts at $2,995 USD MSRP.