February 24th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: NComputing, Cisco, CTERA, Syncplicity, & Panzura
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content not the impact they have. NComputing launched a Raspberry Pi based Thin Client, the RX300. Cisco announced new virtualization and security technologies. CTERA introduces zero minute DR for ROBO file servers. Axway announced that it has acquired Syncplicity. Panzura has launched a Freedom Partner Program to compliment its new Freedom product line.
NComputing Launches Raspberry Pi Based Thin Client, The RX300
NComputing has launched its new thin client, the RX300, that is built using the latest Raspberry Pi 3. The RX300 is optimized for NComputing’s vSpace Pro 10 desktop virtualization solution and vCAST streaming technology support. The RX300 can deliver a high-performance PC-like experience and using the Raspberry Pi, it offers the very low acquisition cost.
- Full-motion HD video playback (1920 x 1200) via HDMI
- 4x USB 2.0 high-speed ports with full USB redirection, utilizing device drivers from the server side to provide broad peripheral support
- Built-in 10/100 Ethernet and Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Provisioned access to both vSpace and Raspbian Linux OS
- 8GB internal Micro SD card and 1GB RAM
- Less than 5W power consumption
- Sleep mode for additional power savings
- 1-year vSpace Pro connection license and 1-year hardware warranty
- Compatibility with vCAST streaming technology
- Secondary display via NComputing USB dongle (VGA or DVI | coming Q2 2017)
- VESA mount kit
The RX300 is available at a MSRP of $99.
Cisco Announces New Virtualization & Security Technologies
Cisco announced new technologies to better help customers as the leverage digital networks more and more. Cisco’s Digital Network Architecture (DNA) is a new architecture with virtualization and security as the foundational elements of its design.
- Fast network service deployment
- Simplified network operations
- Deployment cost savings of up to 79% through service automation
- Reduced risk; detect and contain threats in hours instead of days or months
- Improved user satisfaction through delivery of personalized experiences
- Resource optimization through virtualization and big-data analytics
CTERA Introduces Zero Minute DR For ROBO File Servers
CTERA introduced new disaster recovery (DR) functionality for its cloud storage gateways. This new functionality ensures uninterrupted uptime. The storage gateways are now set for continuous cloud synchronization of file system structures and permissions, and at any given time redirect users to secure direct-to-cloud access. CTERA is also announcing a strong 2016. The company has reached 35,000 customers and has sold over 40,000 cloud storage gateways.
Axway Acquires Syncplicity
The French company Axway announced that it has acquired Syncplicity in an all-cash transaction. Syncplicity started off as a file sync and share solution of EMC’s before being acquired by Skyview Capital (with EMC retaining financial interest). Axway will be leveraging Syncplicity to enhance its AMPLIFY platform.
Panzura Launches A Freedom Partner Program
Panzura has launched a Freedom Partner Program to compliment its recently announced Freedom product line. The program is designed to help service providers to assist their customers with their storage and management issues with unstructured data. The program will offer multiple tiers with their own requirements and benefits.