September 1st, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
News Bits: Sphere 3D, NAKIVO, ControlUp, Scale Computing, NETGEAR, & WD
This week’s News Bits we look at a number of small announcements, small in terms of the content not the impact they have. Sphere 3D introduces HVE HCI OA. NAKIVO releases Backup & Replication v7.2. ControlUp releases version 7.0. Scale Computing hits record performance with HCI NVMe. NETGEAR releases Orbi Pro. And WD aquires Upthere Inc. and releases My Cloud Home.
Sphere 3D Introduces HVE HCI OA
Sphere 3D introduces a handful of acronyms in its HVE branded HyperConverged Infrastructure (HCI) Open Architecture (OA). This small 2-node solution converges compute and storage, can scale up to 64 nodes, and is deployed on HVE appliances that can be configured with all-flash or NVMe.
NAKIVO Releases Backup & Replication v7.2
NAKIVO announced the release of its latest Backup & Replication product, version 7.2. Key features include:
- Support for ASUSTOR NAS
- Transaction Log Truncation for Microsoft SQL Server
- Instant Object Recovery for Microsoft SQL Server
- Calendar Dashboard
- Flexible Job Scheduler
ControlUp Releases Version 7.0
ControlUp released the seventh version of its monitoring and analytics platform. Benefits include:
- ControlUp simplifies deploying and managing IT analytics through a cloud-based delivery model, with out-of-the-box analytics, reports and grids. The IT Virtual Expert extends your team with an entire IT community’s wealth of knowledge for proactive issues detection and root cause analysis.
- ControlUp V7 introduces powerful and swift troubleshooting of storage-related issues. Its interactive DataStore grid provides a new perspective into the critical storage metrics with real-time detailed information about physical data stores, data stores on hosts, vDisks, and Logical Disks. IT gains a hyperlinked view of the environment with the ability to drill-down, up, and sideways; from a process, to the user, to the machine, and now to the specific virtualized storage.
- ControlUp V7 now makes it possible to manage AWS EC2 instances within the console, enabling a real-time single pane of glass view of performance and cost metrics spanning public cloud and on-premises workloads. ControlUp’s real-time architecture also allows IT to predict cloud hosting costs based on current utilization.
Scale Computing Hits Record Performance With HCI NVMe
Scale Computing announced that it hit a record in HCI VM IO performance leveraging NVMe. The company states that it was able to hit IO latencies as low as 20 microseconds delivered to a guest virtual machine. This announcement segues into an upcoming product for the company HyperCore-Direct, a new NVMe optimized hyperconverged solution for data intensive environments and customized hardware and network configurations.
NETGEAR Releases Orbi Pro
NETGEAR announced the its latest wifi system, this time aimed at SMB, the Orbi Pro. The Orbi Pro is a Tri-band Wifi system that leverages Fastlane3 technology to deliver secure, reliable, and according to NETGEAR blazing fast Wifi speeds. Key benefits and features include:
- Easy setup without wires: Deliver business-class WiFi everywhere without requiring additional, complicated wiring or installation costs
- Tri-band high-speed WiFi: Delivers both reliable WiFi coverage and maximum internet speeds even as more devices connect through the fast, dedicated wireless connection between the Orbi Pro Router and Satellite
- Blazing-fast 802.11ac WiFi: Supports speeds up to 3Gbps (AC3000)
- Multiple SSIDs: Defines 3 dedicated and completely isolated WiFi networks for your business, employees, and customers
- Grows with your Business: Easily extends WiFi network coverage up to 10,0000 square feet with additional Orbi Satellite(s)
- Seven Gigabit Ethernet ports (3 on the router and 4 on the satellite): Support wired connections for devices to the Admin Network
- Advanced security options: Supports WPA/WPA2-PSK
- Flexible placement: Sits on a desktop or can be easily mounted to the ceiling or wall with included mounting solutions
- Easy management: Creates secure, personalized, business-grade WiFi in minutes through the Orbi app or any web browser
Orbi Pro is available now for $499
WD Aquires Upthere Inc. & Releases My Cloud Home
Western Digital Corp. (WDC) announced that it has completed the asset acquisition of Upthere, a leading cloud services company that is providing a new and better way to keep, find and share what’s important and meaningful to consumers. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed. On a similar note, WD also announced a new personal cloud storage solution, My Cloud Home. This solution allows consumers to backup, centralize, and share all of their data in one place and can access it wherever they have an internet connection. My Cloud Home is available now for a MSRP of $159.99 2TB, $179.99 3TB, $199.99 4TB, $259.99 6TB and $319.99 8TB. The My Cloud Home Duo solution has a MSRP of $309.99 4TB, $399.99 8TB, $549.99 12TB, and $699.99 16TB.