November 20th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
OCZ Saber 1000 Enterprise SSD Series Announced
OCZ Storage Solutions has announced its new enterprise-class Saber 1000 SSD Series, which is designed for read-intensive applications targeting high-volume deployment hyperscale, web-hosting and distributed computing environments such as online archiving, web browsing, media streaming, and indexing. The SATA-based Saber 1000 Series is equipped with an enterprise-optimized feature set, large storage capacities, and low total cost of ownership (TCO).
OCZ’s new series takes advantage of the latest A19nm NAND flash from Toshiba and is available in capacities of 240GB, 480GB and 960GB. In addition, Saber SSDs leverages OCZ’s internally developed Barefoot 3 controller and firmware, which are designed to deliver consistent sustained I/O performance across all capacities in order to accelerate enterprise applications.
In a steady state condition by which the Saber 1000 Series 960GB drive is writing, erasing and re-writing data repeatedly over its full capacity, Toshiba states the following specifications:
- 550 MB/s for sequential reads (128KB blocks);
- 470 MB/s for sequential writes (128KB blocks);
- 98,000 IOPS for random reads (4KB blocks); and
- 20,000 IOPS for random writes (4KB blocks)
While the Intrepid 3000 SSD Series is designed for mainstream enterprise applications (focusing more on extensive endurance and reliability), the Saber 1000 Series is ideal for read-intensive applications including read cache and indexing, Video-On Demand, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, media streaming, front-end web server, cloud infrastructure, online archiving, Customer Relationship Management, and Enterprise Content Management (ECM). In addition, the Saber 1000 Series’ low 3.7 watts of power that is typically consumed in an active state helps to lower datacenter energy needs, which can result in additional savings due to reduced cooling requirements.
OCZ’s new series also features data protection in the event of a sudden power loss with its Power Failure Management Plus (PFM+) technology. This functionality holds up the SSD circuitry long enough to ensure the integrity of the device so the drive can be fully operational again once power is restored.
OCZ’s StoragePeak 1000 SSD Management System allows IT managers to centrally monitor and administer connected Saber 1000 SSDs, as well as other OCZ enterprise class solution resources, from a web-based management interface. This network-accessible management system securely connects to multiple hosts that are running Linux or Windows operating systems, providing a cross-platform view of the OCZ SSDs connected to servers, storage arrays or appliances. It also includes a user configurable alerting system, which allows IT to initiate corrective actions to at an early stage.
OCZ Saber 1000 SSD Series Specifications (240GB, 480GB, 960GB)
- Sustained Performance
- Sequential Read (128KB, QD32): 550MB/s, 550MB/s, 550 MB/s
- Sequential Write (128KB, QD32): 515MB/s, 500MB/s, 470 MB/s
- Random Read (4KB, QD32): 86,000 IOPS, 95,000 IOPS, 98,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4KB, QD32): 20,000 IOPS, 23,000 IOPS, 20,000 IOPS
- Random Mixed R65%/W35% (4KB, QD32): 31,000 IOPS, 33,000 IOPS, 30,000 IOPS
- Random Read Latency (4KB, QD1): 121 µs, 92 µs, 59 µs
- Random Write Latency (4KB, QD1): 52 µs, 27 µs, 28 µs
- Drive Writes Per Day (DWPD): 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
- NAND Components: A19nm Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
- Interface: Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0 6Gb/s
- Form Factor: 2.5 inch
- NAND Controller: OCZ Barefoot 3 M00
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 99.70 x 69.75 x 7.00mm
- Weight: 115g(weight varies by capacity)
- Power Consumption: Idle: 1.0W (Typical) Active: 3.7W (Typical)
- Operating Temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Storage Temperature: -45°C ~ 85°C
- Shock (Operating / Non-operating): 1000G/0.5ms / 1000G/0.5ms
- Vibration (Operating / Non-operating): 2.17 Grms (5-800 Hz) / 3.13 Grms (5-800 Hz)
- Altitude (Operating / Non-operating): -1,500 ft. to 15,000 ft. / -1,000 ft. to 40,000 ft.
- Certifications and Declarations: CE, FCC, KCC, C-Tick, BSMI, VCCI, UL, WEEE
- Product Ecological Compliance: RoHS
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- Bit Error Rate (BER): 1 sector per 1015 bits read
- Power Loss Management: Power Failure Management Plus (PFM+) prevents “brick drive” syndrome so the SSD remains operational post outage
- Data Encryption: AES-256-bit encryption with automatic hardware encryption to provide protection of all metadata and user’s data at all times
- Product Health Monitoring: Includes OCZ’s StoragePeak 1000 SSD Management System and Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) support with enterprise attributes
- Serial ATA (SATA): Serial ATA Revision 3.0, compatible with SATA 1.5 Gb/s, 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s. Compliant with ATA/ATAPI-8, SMART ATA feature set, and Native Command Queuing (NCQ) command set.
- Operating Systems: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Server 2008/2012 / Server 2008 R2 / Oracle Enterprise(6.4) / RedHat Enterprise(6.4) / CentOS 6.4 / Open SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.3 / Ubuntu Server 12.4.4 LTS / MINT 15 3.8 / SLES ll SP2 3.0.13
- Power Management: Supports ATA Power Management Specification
- Device Activity Signal (DAS) Indication: Set automatically to the default state during manufacturing, the polarity can be inverted in the field using Clout.
- Thermal Sensor: Temperature monitoring to maintain the NAND flash within operating temperature specifications
- Service & Support: 5-year warranty; Dedicated FAE support