September 4th, 2013 by Josh Linden
PMC Announces 12Gb/s Adaptec Series 8 SAS RAID Adapters
PMC today introduced the Adaptec Series 8, a new family of 12Gb/s SAS RAID adapters which feature an end-to-end PMC architecture which incorporates PMC’s I/O protocol controllers, RAID-on-Chip (RoC) controllers, SAS expanders, Solid State Drive (SSD) controllers, and software. According to PMC, the Adaptec Series 8 improves on the performance of its previous generation of adaptors by 60 percent, exceeding 700,000 4k random read RAID IOPS.
The Adaptec Series 8 family is composed of five low-profile PCIe 3.0 models which are built around PMC 12Gb/s SAS RoC controllers as well as a backup module. Four of the five adapters provide 16-port connectivity, which doubles the current standard for number of SAS ports and dramatically increases the range of storage arrays which can be assembled.
Adaptec Series 8 Family
- ASR-81605ZQ: 16-port low-profile with maxCache Plus and embedded Zero Maintenance Cache Protection
- ASR-8885:16-port low-profile with maxCache Plus
- ASR-8885: 16-port (8 internal, 8 external) low profile
- ASR-8805: 8-port internal low profile
- ASR-8885E: Entry16-port (8 internal, 8 external) low profile
- AFM-700 Kit: SuperCap Flash Back-up Module
Adaptec’s maxCachePlus caching solution will allow Series 8 customers to integrate all storage devices into a caching tier regardless of whether connected to PMC hardware, or whether the drive is an SSD or HDD. New 12Gb/s SAS infrastructure is backwards-compatible with 6Gb/s SAS, and PMC also offers Adaptec-branded 6Gb/s and 12Gb/s HD mini-SAS cables for connecting existing storage to the Series 8 adapters.
Adaptec Series 8 RAID adapters will be available in Q4 2013.