June 5th, 2012 by Josh Linden
PMC Announces 12Gb/s SAS Flash Manager, Completing End-to-End 12Gb/s Enterprise SSD Solution
PMC has announced its 12Gb/s SAS Flash Manager (SFM-12G) for enterprise SSDs. This will be the industry’s first end-to-end 12Gb/s SAS solution, from protocol controller to SSD controller. According to PMC, the SFM-12G delivers more than 300,000 I/Os per second (IOPS) in a 2.5” SAS SSD. When paired with PMC’s SPCv 12G, manufacturer benchmarks indicate 2.4 million IOPS in an 8-drive flash subsystem.
PM8304 SFM12G Overview
- Native 12Gb/s SAS Flash Manager with single 2-wide target mode and dual narrow target mode (active-active)
- 16 ONFI-2 / TOGGLE flash channels suport major NAND vendors
- 2TB max capacity
- Over 1.6GB/s of throughput with 320K read & 200K write IOPS (4KB block) performance
- Up to 1644 bits of correction per 4KB page
- Advanced error handling & statistics
PMC’s PM8304 SFM-12G incorporates two 12G ports and is optimized for read-and-write-intensive environments. The device integrates PMC’s maxLIFE Flash Management technology with Adaptive ECC, which provides wear leveling, garbage collection, flash scrubbing, power-loss data protection, and advanced error handling and statistics. PMC’s maxLIFE technology extends the usable life of NAND SSDs and lowers error-correction latency, allowing OEMs to use MLC NAND flash without compromising durability.
PMC’s 12Gb/s SAS Flash Manager is sampling later this quarter.