September 17th, 2014 by Adam Armstrong
PMC Delivers 16-port Storage Controllers for Data Center Servers
PMC-Sierra Inc. announced today that the company is the first to ship 16-port 12Gb/s SAS and 16-port 6Gb/s SATA I/O Controllers for data center servers. The new controller solutions are aimed at OEMs and ODMs who want to design low-cost customized server hardware for hyperscale deployment such as Open Compute, Windows Cloud Servers, OpenStack, and Project Scorpio. The new product line contains three controllers, the above-mentioned two and 8-port 12Gb/s SAS controller.
The new product line of controllers is optimized for density, power efficient, have design flexibility to lower both deployment and development costs. All the devices are pin compatible, enabling three solutions based off of one design. The controllers can be combined with PMC's SAS expanders, Adaptec RAID adapters, and Flashtec NVMe solutions to provide an end-to-end solution that addresses the breadth of data center storage requirements, including Big Data, Hadoop, dense SAS and SATA server storage for compute nodes, large scale disk attachment for warm and cold storage, caching to maximize the performance of slower storage media, and RAID for mission-critical data.
Key features include:
- The industry's highest density 12G SAS IOC and SATA IOC at 16 ports per chip
- Up to 40% less power used
- Up to 1 million IOPS & 6.6 GB/s (with PCIe gen 3.0)
- Pin-compatible 3-in-1 design
- Hardened OS drivers can be leveraged as is or customized with Linus open source code
- Includes qualified firmware, device drivers, software management tools, reference designs, and engineering support
The PM8076 16-port 12Gb/s SAS I/O controller, PM8074 8-port 12Gb/s SAS I/O controller and PM8006 16-port 6Gb/s SATA I/O controller will be available in volume production in October 2014.