January 29th, 2018 by Lyle Smith
QNAP's vQTS Now Available For TS-x77 NAS Series
QNAP has announced the immediate availability of their new vQTS virtualization technology, which allows users to run multiple virtual QTS operating systems on a QNAP NAS. vQTS is based on Virtualization Station and offers benefits for resource segregation, multi-tenant environments, and flexible application deployment coupled with savings on energy, costs and physical space. At this time, vQTS is only available for the AMD Ryzen-powered TS-x77 NAS series.
The QNAP TS-x77 series is the world’s first Ryzen-based NAS series and are available in 6, 8, and 12 -bay models (TS-677, TS-877, and TS-1277, respectively). This new series is powered by processors that have up to 8-cores/16-threads (Turbo Core up to 3.7 GHz) and feature SSD caching, and the processing power required for excelling under resource-demanding applications.
QNAP states the following benefits for business environments using the new vQTS:
- All-inclusive to save cost and space: Run multiple QTS systems on a single QNAP NAS. Each vQTS is independent and can be used by different departments and teams with their own privilege settings and application environments.
- Resource segregation for optimal performance: Allocate dedicated hardware resources (CPU, memory, storage, and network) to each vQTS to ensure their services are not mutually interrupted.
- Application segregation with improved security and flexibility: Use different vQTS for different applications to separate services. For example, teams with their own vQTS can use Hybrid Backup Sync for syncing files to cloud storage without mixing specific cloud services and user accounts with each other.
- Separate computing from storage: vQTS supports NFS and iSCSI to easily mount the storage space from another QNAP NAS. Users can process data and run applications on a high-performance NAS and then store data on the mounted NAS.
- Secure and bandwidth-saving: Accessing data on a NAS using vQTS is secure and bandwidth-saving, as data is not transmitted via physical network cables.
- App Center expands NAS functionality: Every vQTS provides access to the QTS App Center for boosting NAS functionality and adding more features.
vQTS is available now for the TS-x77 NAS devices. QNAP notes that Virtualization Station v3.1.7 is required to create vQTS.