May 15th, 2018 by Lyle Smith
QNAP TS-832X 8-bay Now Available
QNAP has announced the availability of their new TS-832X 8-bay quad-core NAS solution. Highlighted by two built-in 10GbE SFP ports to handle bandwidth-demanding tasks like large-data applications, fast backup/restoration, and containerized applications, the TS-832X is marketed as a budget-friendly, high-speed network ARM-based NAS that supports Qtier technology for auto-tiering. Moreover, it comes equipped with two PCIe slots (Gen2 x1, Gen2 x2), which allows users to populate the NAS with additional functionality such as 10GbE NICs, QM2 cards, USB 3.1 10Gbps expansion cards, or wireless network cards to further expand its use cases. Last week, QNAP released the TS-963X 9-bay NAS.
The TS-832X is powered by an AnnapurnaLabs Alpine AL-324 quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A57 processor and features upwards of 16GB DDR4 RAM and SSD caching and Qtier for optimizing storage performance and utilization. The available two PCIe slots make this NAS a versatile system, giving users a way to further expand the system and increase overall performance:
- 10GbE network card to boost bandwidth-intensive workloads;
- USB 3.1 Gen.2 (10Gbps) card for transferring large media files to/from USB storage;
- PCIe wireless network card to use the NAS as a wireless base station; or
- QNAP QM2 card to add M.2 SSDs to configure SSD caching (M.2 SSD sold separately).
Users can also install a QM2 card with 10GbE 10GBASE-T connectivity, which provides SSD caching with high-speed network connectivity on a single card.
Like all QNAP NAS solutions, the TS-832X is managed by the QTS NAS operating system. This OS offers functionality such as block-based snapshots, which enable data protection and instant restoration to mitigate the effects of ransomware. Users also have the option to install to install a wide range of different apps from the App Center, including Container Station for LXC and Docker containerized applications, Qfiling for automatic file organization, and QVR Pro to set up a professional video surveillance system.
The TS-832X can be via two QNAP expansion enclosures (UX-800P and UX-500P).
- TS-832X-8G：8GB DDR4 RAM, expandable to 16GB
- TS-832X-2G：2GB DDR4 RAM, expandable to 16GB
- 8-bay tower NAS, hot-swappable 3.5-inch/2.5-inch SATA 6Gbps HDD/SSD; AnnapurnaLabs, an Amazon company Alpine AL-324 quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A57 processor, 64-bit; 1x SODIMM DDR4 slot; 2x PCIe (Gen2 x1, Gen2 x2) slots; 2x 10GbE SFP+ LAN ports, 2x Gigabit RJ45 LAN ports; 3x USB 3.0 ports; 1x built-in speaker; 1x 3.5 mm line-out jack
The new TS-832X NAS is available now for purchase.