June 19th, 2017 by Lyle Smith
QNAP TVS-882ST3 Thunderbolt 3 Now Available
QNAP Systems has announced the availability of the TVS-882ST3, a 2.5 inch 8-bay Thunderbolt 3 NAS powered by a 6th Generation Intel 14nm Core i7/i5 quad-core processor. The new NAS also features AES-NI encryption, 10GbE 10GBASE-T dual networking ports, USB 3.1 10Gbps Type-C/Type-A ports, and 4K HDMI output. QNAP indicates that it is specifically designed to house an all-SSD configuration to improve workflow collaboration between Thunderbolt 3-enabled Macs and Windows users.
Managed QTS 4.3, the TVS-882ST3 supports the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet Converter, allowing for Thunderbolt-enabled devices to access 10GbE network resources over a Thunderbolt connection to the NAS. This converter gives users a data transfer method for non-Ethernet devices that is both versatile and cost-effective. QNAP says that it will also provide seamless collaboration between the SMB-enabled Final Cut Pro X 10.3 and Windows PC to enable cross-platform file sharing. The TVS-882ST3 also acts as a secure file center with a deep set of privilege controls for cross-platform file sharing, backup, restoration, and synchronization.
Additional usability features include:
- QvPC Technology turns the QNAP NAS into PC by connecting a keyboard, mouse and HDMI display
- Linux Station allows the direct usage of Ubuntu desktop;
- Virtualization Station can host multiple Windows, Linux, UNIX, and Android-based virtual machines on the NAS
- Container Station empowers near-limitless LXC and Docker-containerized apps and IoT development
- Qfiling and Qsirch optimize data storage operations by providing automatic file organization and rapid file searching
The TVS-882ST3 can be expanded as needed via a maximum of six Thunderbolt 2 expansion enclosures (8-bay TX-800P or 5-bay TX-500P) or two USB 3.0 expansion enclosures (8-bay UX-800P or 5-bay UX-500P). In addition, storage capacity can be increased by using VJBOD that leverages the unused storage capacity of other QNAP NAS.
- TVS-882ST3-i7-16G: Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core 2.6 GHz (up to 3.5 GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM (expandable to 32GB)
- TVS-882ST3-i7-8G: Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core 2.6 GHz (up to 3.5 GHz), 8GB DDR4 RAM (expandable to 32GB)
- TVS-882ST3-i5-8G: Intel Core i5-6442EQ quad-core 1.9 GHz (up to 2.7 GHz), 8GB DDR4 RAM (expandable to 32GB)
- Tower NAS; 8 x hot-swappable 2.5” SATA 6Gb/s SSD/HDD slots; 2 x Thunderbolt™ 3 ports; 2 x 10GBase-T LAN ports, 2 x Gigabit RJ45 LAN ports; 1 x HDMI output (4K @30Hz); 2 x USB 3.1 ports (USB-C and USB-A, up to 10Gb/s); 2 x USB 3.0 ports; 1 x 3.5mm audio output; 1 x 3.5 mm microphone jack (dynamic microphones only); 1 x LCD screen; 1 x remote control
The TVS-882ST3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS is now available.