January 9th, 2018 by Lyle Smith
QNAP Unveils Storage Solutions For AI, IoT Mini Server, & Companion Robot At CES 2018
QNAP will be showcasing its “full-throttle” NAS innovations focused on artificial intelligence at CES 2018. These new technologies include: a new AI developer package along with a GPU-accelerated NAS for AI machine learning, the next-generation single-board IoT mini server for small-scale/private IoT applications or large-scale/public IoT deployments, and a new companion robot that acts as an AI assistant for the home.
QNAP’s live demo of NAS devices includes the TS-1277, which comes equipped with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 processor and a high-end graphics card installed to boast the necessary computing power for data-intensive machine learning applications. QNAP will also demonstrate its new AI developer package, QuAI, designed to quickly build, train and optimize AI models running on QNAP NAS products. QuAI will show the learning capabilities of its NAS devices and exhibit solid results for specific model-based services such as image classification. QNAP indicates that this will help organizations drive more intelligent usage and recognize business opportunities at every level.
Additional new QNAP NAS products that will be highlighted at CES 2018 include:
- TS-328: QNAP’s first 3-bay NAS that allows for building a RAID 5 array with the fewest disks. It is powered by a Realtek RTD1296 quad-core 1.4 GHz processor with 2GB or 4GB RAM available, supports 4K transcoding and playback, snapshots, cross-device file backup and synchronization, and a variety of multimedia applications.
- TS-x28A: Entry-level NAS available in 1 and 2 bays for home users, featuring a Realtek RTD1295 quad-core 1.4 GHz processor with 1 GB RAM. It provides abundant performance for multimedia/data storage, sharing and streaming functions, complete file and data protection capabilities, and block-based snapshot support.
- TS-x53Be: Cost-efficient NAS available in 2 and 4-bay, featuring Intel® Celeron® quad-core 1.5 GHz processor with 2GB or 4GB RAM available. It supports dual 4K HDMI outputs and PCIe expansion which provides fantastic long-term possibilities for the NAS to be upgraded to add features such as SSD caching and 10GbE connectivity.
- TVS-x73e: High-performance NAS available in 4, 6, and 8 bays, featuring an AMD RX-421BD quad-core APU, up to 64GB DDR4 RAM, two M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD slots, dual 4K HDMI outputs, and hardware-assisted 4K video transcoding acceleration. It provides dual PCIe slots for flexibly installing 10GbE NICs, QM2 cards or USB 3.1 10Gbps cards to fulfill versatile business needs.
AfoBot, the company’s new companion robot, features voice interaction, face recognition, and video calls, which allows for new entertainment possibilities, easy communication, elder care, and daily-life assistance. The main purpose of AfoBot is to enhance quality of life and improve communication opportunities at home.
At just 10.67 inches tall and 1.7 kg in weight, the small companion robot has 32GB of local data storage, built-in Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connectivity, and provides hands-free voice control to launch programs, commands and actions. Moreover, users can make single or four-peer video calls, easily connecting elderly to their family members and friends via natural speech interaction. AfoBot also supports alarm clock, weather report, and automatic photo-capturing, and can be controlled via the AfoTalk mobile app for remote control. Further capabilities include the playback of music, video and radio with simple voice commands.
The newly launched QBoat Sunny will also be demonstrated at CES 2018 as well—a 12cm x 12cm single-board IoT mini server that is compatible with Philips Hue for smart lighting, and Domotz for premiere remote network monitoring and management for professionals. It features container Station and QIoT Suite Lite, which enables users to easily manage and monitor IoT applications, devices, and data, resulting in a streamlined and highly-efficient IoT development experience.
QBoat Sunny comes equipped with:
- AnnapurnaLabs AL-314 processor
- 2GB RAM
- 2x M.2 SATA SSD slots
- 3x 1000BASE-T ports
- 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type A ports
- M.2 slot for wireless module installation (2230 length)
In addition, it can connect to versatile IoT development boards, devices, applications, and can be used as a server for small-scale/private IoT applications. QBoat Sunny also serves as a fog computing node/gateway in large-scale/public IoT environments.
The availability of QuAI and the other NAS products will be announced at a later date.