June 13th, 2017 by Adam Armstrong
Rubrik Releases Alta
Today Rubrik released the 4.0 version of its Cloud Data Management platform, Alta. The latest version provides what Rubrik is calling instant application availability anytime, anywhere regardless of infrastructure. Alta also features support for key modern operating environments in the enterprise, including: VMware, Hyper-V, AHV; physical environments such as Linux and Windows; and AWS, Azure and private clouds. And Alta can deliver support for physical or virtualized Oracle and SQL.
As more organizations move to the hybrid cloud, the need for a cloud-scale application data management platform increases. Rubrik states that Alta will simplify management, maintain agility over evolving environments, and free organization’s application data from the underlying infrastructure.
- Physical Operating Environments. Rubrik Alta supports physical Linux, physical Windows and NFS devices.
- Virtualized Operating Environments. Rubrik Alta supports VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV Hypervisors.
- Public and Private Cloud. Rubrik Alta protects workloads natively in AWS, Azure and private clouds.
- Edge Environments. For organizations with remote or branch offices, Rubrik Alta is available in a software-only solution designed to run in remote virtualized environments.
- Physical Oracle Databases. Rubrik Alta is not a “dumb” NFS target for Oracle backups. Alta integrates with Oracle RMAN and supports Oracle ASM, while eliminating the need for agents. Oracle database admins can continue to use their preferred tools while benefiting from Rubrik’s single policy-based engine; high performance CBT-enabled backups and parallel ingest; log enabled point-in-time recoveries (PITR); and Ransomware-secured, immutable backups;
- Physical Microsoft SQL. Rubrik Alta features new live mount recovery capabilities for physical SQL which provides application owners simple recovery and near zero business disruption. Rubrik protects physical Microsoft SQL with a single policy-based engine to automate SQL server data management, to deliver application consistent, incremental forever backups, and to enable PITR with intelligent log management.
Rubrik has always been about simplifying aspects of the cloud. With the release of Alta, the company is also introducing its new CloudOn instantiations services for cloud, beginning with AWS. According to Rubrik, customers that protect and manage VM images, can use Alta’s new CloudOn services to power-on applications in AWS, utilizing Alta’s intelligent AMI configuration and translation services. This new feature creates maximum flexibility for: disaster recovery, test/dev, and analytics use cases.