March 21st, 2013 by Josh Shaman
Samsung Announces Magician 4.0 and Data Migration 2.0
Samsung recently announced that it released its Magician 4.0 software, a new version that helps users manage performance of their Samsung SSD by giving users drive health status information. The new Magician 4.0 includes significant improvements over the previous version including a simplified OS optimization and redesigned GUI. On top of that, Samsung also released their newest version of Data Migration software, version 2.0, which is designed to help users migrate their data from a previously used SSD or HDD to a new Samsung SSD. This migration includes OS, application software, and user data.
Magician 4.0 provides users with the ability to update firmware, measure performance, and enhance the drive's installation configuration. Users benefit from automatic OS optimization for Superfetch/Prefetch, Readyboost, and DIPM settings and SecureErase which can entirely wipe a drive in less than a minute. Also, users are able to check benchmarking performance of the SSD and other devices.
Magician 4.0 Major Enhancements
- Redesigned GUI is even easier to use
- Simple, traffic-light-style graphics show drive's health status and diagnostics
- Total bytes written (TBW) function tracks how much data has been written to the SSD
- At-a-glance configuration information, includes SATA interface and AHCI support
- Simpler OS optimization configures SSD for maximum performance, capacity, or reliability
- Authentication feature verifies that SSDs are genuine Samsung products
Data Migration 2.0 is exclusively available for Samsung SSDs and uses a straight-forward three-step process to migrate from an existing drive to a new one. The process involves the Migration software scanning the exisiting device, recognizing large files, and providing recommendations for how to best migrate. If users' data will be over-capacity, Data Migration 2.0 informs them and helps them to delete non-critical data or move it to an external storage device.
Samsung's Magician 4.0 and Data Migration 2.0 are designed exclusively for use with Samsung SSDs and are available now.