May 26th, 2015 by Lyle Smith
SanDisk Z400s Economical SSDs Announced
SanDisk has announced the new cost-effective SanDisk Z400s SSD, which is specifically designed to replace hard-disk drives in computing platforms and embedded applications. This line of SSDs is a significant release by SanDisk, as the company promises they will be priced on par with other consumer HDDs all the while offering much better performance, reliability, and power consumption. If this pricing claim is true, it would essentially eliminate the cost difference between solid state and hard disk drives, a gap which has be shrinking significantly over the past few years.
Due to its variety in form factors and capacities as well as its lightweight and cost-effective design, PC OEMs can incorporate the new SanDisk Z400s into smaller, mobile laptop designs without the bill of materials (BOM) costs. SanDisk also indicates that the new SanDisk Z400s SSD will allow PC OEMs to deliver products that are 5x more reliable and 20x faster than traditional hard drives, which translate into fewer returns, lower total cost of ownership, and increased overall customer satisfaction.
Designed for high-endurance design and reliability, the new Z400s can withstand up to 1.7 million hours of continual use, resulting in greater stability during peak activity. The new line of SSDs are also available in multiple form factors and capacities as low as 32GB, allowing them to meet embedded systems applications designers’ performance, reliability, size, low power, interface and scalability requirements for the following use cases:
- Digital Signage: The rise of big data analytics is driving the use of digital signage for transportation, advertising, retailers and more. The Z400s delivers the latest advances in flash storage technology so that users and manufacturers of digital signage equipment can trust their solution will consistently provide valuable and current information to all audiences.
- POS: Research shows that customers become frustrated after 2.5 minutes if there is no progress in a checkout line; after five minutes, one out of three customers will abandon the line altogether.5 The Z400s provides the performance and reliability that retail, hospitality, restaurant services, and many other industries need to ensure a quality customer experience and inspire brand loyalty.
- Security-Surveillance: The Z400s is extremely beneficial at the point of image capture, where ruggedness, durability and performance are critical, but storage requirements are relatively short-term. This includes digital cameras where images are cleared more frequently, but still operate 24/7 in order to reduce risk, such as in courtrooms or government buildings, healthcare facilities and shopping malls.
SanDisk Z400s Specifications
- Form Factors: 2.5” 7mm cased, M.2 2280, mSATA
- Capacities: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Interface: SATA Revision 3.2 (6 Gb/s) backward compatible to SATA Revision 2.0 (3 Gb/s) and SATA Revision 1.0 (1.5 Gb/s)
- Sequential Read/Write: Up to 549/330MB/s
- Random Read/Write: Up to 33/62k IOPS
- Endurance (TBW): 20 TBW (32GB), 40 TBW (64GB), 72 TBW (128 and 256GB)
- Active Power (mW):50
- Slumber(mW): 20
- 2.5” 7mm: 30 ± 1g
- 2.5” 7mm: 30 ± 1g
- mSATA: 5.0 ± 0.5g
- Operating Temperature: 32ºF to 158ºF (0°C to 70°C)
- Non-operating Temperatures: -67ºF to 185ºF (-55°C to 85°C)
- Operating Vibration: 5 gRMS, 10 – 2000 Hz, 3 axes
- Non-operating Vibration: 4.9 gRMS, 7 – 800 Hz, 3 axes
- Operating/Non-operating Shock: 1,500 G @0.5 msec half sine
- Certifications: FCC, UL, TUV, KC, BSMI, VCCI
The SanDisk Z400s line of SSDs is now sampling with customers in mSATA, 2.5” SATA and M.2 (2242 and 2280) form factors, in capacities of 32GB, 64GB, 128GB and 256GB.