April 18th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Scality & Dell Partner To Bring RING Powered SD7000-S
Today Scailty has announced that it has expanded its partnership with Dell to bring a high-density, purpose built storage server for Scality RING file and object-based architecture. According to Scality, this new system, the Dell SD7000-S, will deliver a flexible, scale-out storage that is designed for modernized enterprises.
The new SD7000-S combines Scality RING software and Dell hardware giving Dell the most comprehensive SDS portfolio in the industry. The SD7000-S is designed for high capacity environments, and is an ideal solution for large scale file and object storage requirements. The two companies claim that their new system can expand to multiple petabytes and billions of objects with near linear performance scaling, offering joint customers a single source for acquisition, deployment and support. Since the SD7000-S is custom-built for RING customers will be able to deploy faster with no guesswork involved.
Key benefits include:
- Reduced datacenter power, cooling and rack space
- More efficient deployment
- Less hardware to manage and maintain for RING deployments
As we’ve previously stated, Dell and Scality have worked together in the past. RING is hardware agnostic and can run on several different types of Dell Hardware, previously being run on Dell PowerEdge server, Dell Storage, and Dell Networking portfolio. Scality and Dell’s on going partnership have delivered SDS for managed service providers, government agencies, and media and entertainment organizations. By strengthening their partnership the two companies state that their customers get the best of both worlds: high performance, data protection, multiprotocol data access, and product lifecycle management.
The SD7000-S in not only purpose-built to optimize RING software it is highly dense. Lots of vendors make the claim of high density but Dell backs it up by packing 688TB in one 4U unit (or 172TB per RU). There are 86 3.5” hot-swappable drive bays, with the maximum capacity of 8TB/drive that brings the totals up to 688TB per unit or 6.9PB per 42in rack.
- Chassis: 4U rack mount storage server with two storage server nodes (SD7500-S) per chassis
- Processors: 2 x Intel Xeon processors E5-2650 v4 (2.4 GHz/10 cores) per node
- Memory: 12 x DIMMs per node: 16GB DDR4 RDIMM
- Storage controllers: Avago MegaRAID 9361-8i, 12Gb/s SAS and SATA RAID controller
- Boot volume: 2 x 2.5” 500GB SATA hot-swappable boot drives per node
- SSD (metadata): 2 x 2.5” 1.6TB SSD per node
- HDD (data): 43 x 3.5” 8TB NL-SAS per node, 688TB (raw) capacity per chassis
- PCIe Slots: 3 x8, 1 x16 slots; low profile and full height
- Embedded networking: 4 x 1GB Ethernet LOM per node
- Network: Intel X520 10GbE Dual Port SFP+
- Power supply: 2 x Platinum efficiency 1100W AC hot-plug redundant power supplies per node
- Systems management: IPMI 2.0, BMC with vKVM support and 1 x 1GbE management port
- Services and support: 1-5 years Basic Next Business Day (NBD); support services from Basic to ProSupport and Flex
- Supported operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: 6.6, 6.7, 7.0, 7.1
- Centos: 6.6, 6.7, 7.0, 7.1
- Supported Scality software: Scality RING software Version 5.1 and 6.0
- Height: 173.8 mm
- Width: 434 mm
- Depth, chassis only: 1098.4 mm
- Depth with rails and CMA: 1242.68 mm (48.94 in)
- Weight: 129.5 kg (285 lb) (with 90 drives and 2 server nodes)
- Weight (empty): 57.1 kg (125.88 lb)