May 21st, 2013 by Mark Kidd
Seagate Announces Purpose-Built 4TB Video HDD
Seagate has announced the Video 3.5 which at 4TB will be the industry’s largest-capacity 3.5-inch hard disk drive engineered specifically for digital video recorders (DVRs), set-top boxes and surveillance systems. The Seagate Video 3.5 offers a 0.55 percent annual failure rate and other features which will be attractive to manufacturers, integrators and installers looking for a drive that can be relied on in the field. The flagship 4TB drive is designed to support 16 simultaneous HD streams or 20 standard-definition streams. Some of the tradeoff for decreased transfer speeds are low power consumption and heat emissions as well as engineering for 24x7 operation.
The Video 3.5 series also prioritizes acoustics, an essential consideration for many consumer and media applications. The drive operates at 2.3 decibels, and according to Seagate the drive should remain below the threshold for human hearing during operation.
Video 3.5 Specifications (4TB Capacity)
- Spindle Speed (RPM): 5900
- Cache (MB): 64
- Transfer Rate, Max Ext (MB/s): 600
- Sustained Data Rate OD: 180Mb/s
- Power Management
- Seek, Typical Operating (W) 6.0
- Idle, Typical Operating (W) 3.0
- Operating Temperature: 0° to 75°C
- Non-operating Temperature: -40° to 70°C
- Operating Shock: Gs (ms) 80 (2ms)
- Non-operating Shock: Gs (ms) 300 (2ms)
- Acoustics (bels): Idle 2.3, Operating 2.4
- Dimensions (HxWxL): 1.028" (26.1mm) x 4.010" (101.85mm) x 5.787" (147.00mm)
- Weight: 1.44lbs (650g)
The Seagate Video 3.5 HDD will be available in 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and 4TB capacities.