January 6th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Silicon Motion Announces Turnkey Merchant SATA SSD Controller Supporting 3D NAND
Today at CES in Las Vegas, Silicon Motion Technology Corporation released the world’s first turnkey merchant SATA SSD controller solution supporting 3D NAND from multiple vendors, the SM2246EN with 3D NAND support. Silicon Motion states that its new controller will help accelerate adoption of high-performance SSDs. The updated SM2246EN with 3D NAND support will be demonstrated at Silicon Motion’s booth at CES.
There is some pretty fierce competition at the moment in the client SSD market. With the introduction of the SM2246EN with 3D NAND support, even more SSD OEMs will be able to bring high-performing SSDs with 3D NAND to market in a cost-effective manner. This could be good news in the long run for customers as competition can drive down price and drive up innovation. Aside from adding support to multiple 3D NAND vendors, the updated SM2246EN includes 3D Power Loss Protection firmware technology and supports up to 2TB of capacity.
Key features include:
- Sequential read performance of up to 540MB/s and sequential write of up to 410MB/s
- Delivers up to 80,000 random read IOPS and up to 75,000 random write IOPS
- Supports SSD densities up to 2TB
- Supports ONFI 3.x, Toggle 2.0 and asynchronous NAND
- Proprietary, configurable ECC engine allows for consistent data throughput and performance throughout the entire SSD lifecycle
- Ideally suited for client SSDs targeting ultrabooks, laptops, tablets and HDD replacement
- Incorporates the latest security protocols and is AES 256, Trusted Computing Group (TCG) and Opal full-drive encryption compliant
- Supports both commercial (0°C to 70°C) and industrial grade (-40°C to 85°C) requirements.
The SM2246EN with 3D NAND support is available now, and the Silicon Motion will introduce additional SSD controller solutions supporting 3D MLC and TLC NAND flash for SATA3 and PCIe SSDs later this year.