July 13th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
SIOS Introduces Machine Learning Analytics Platform For VMware Environments
Today SIOS Technology Corp. announced the availability of its intelligent software solution for understanding and optimizing VMware environments, SIOS iQ standard edition. SIOS iQ is an analytic platform that applies advanced machine learning analytics to broad data sets, including application and infrastructure data from third party tools and frameworks. Using SIOS iQ, IT will better be able to understand and explain behaviors and will learn how to predict the impact of changes and issues in dynamic virtual environments.
Traditionally when using a VMware environment, if a problem needs to be identified several discrete events would need to be recorded and reported on. While IT attempts to sort through and prioritize theses events the more subtle events can go by unnoticed. SIOS iQ will detect abnormal patterns of behavior, identify the root cause, and make recommendations on how best to address these issues. Not only that SIOS iQ can predict the cost savings and performance improvements that result from the actions it suggests.
SIOS iQ is all about simplicity. It is software that can be purchased and downloaded over the Internet, installing in just 15 minutes. Once installed it goes to work, learning operation patterns, finding various issues (including false positives), and is self adjusting to the specific infrastructure. All data is consolidated to an easy-to-use interface that can be accessed on a mobile device such as a tablet. In the future, SIOS will continue to release updates that will further strengthen iQ in capacity and integration.
- Performance Root Cause Analysis learns the relationships of objects and their normal patterns of behavior in a VMware infrastructure (hosts, VMs, application, network, storage, etc.); proactively identifies anomalies in behavior and the root causes of performance problems in any application; and recommends specific changes to address those problems.
- Enhanced SIOS PERC Dashboard enables IT managers to quickly and easily ensure their VMware environment is optimized along four key quality of service dimensions: performance, efficiency, reliability and capacity (PERC). The standard edition of SIOS iQ includes a variety of user enhancements, including the ability to expand charts to drill more deeply into specific PERC areas, the addition of new color-coded status indicators showing the criticality of issues - critical, warning and informational, and the inclusion of performance impact analysis showing all applications, VMs, hosts and data stores associated with a detected performance problem.
- Specialized Analytics for SQL Server provides advanced insight into performance issues associated with SQL Server deployments in VMware. SIOS iQ standard edition correlates interactions between SQL and infrastructure resources in the VMware environment to identify the deep root cause of performance issues.
- Enhanced Host Based Caching feature helps IT staff to easily determine how to improve storage performance for applications through the intelligent use of server side storage and host based caching. It analyzes the environment, including all blocks written to disk, and identifies the read ratio and the load profile to find the VMs (and their disks) best suited to take advantage of host based caching. SIOS iQ makes specific configuration recommendations such as how much cache to add and what cache block size to configure. It predicts the added performance that will be achieved if recommendations are implemented and shows the results in a single, simple, easy-to-read chart.
- Enhanced SIOS iQ Resource Optimization features. New standard edition of SIOS iQ provides an enhanced user interface for optimizing VMware resources by identifying and eliminating idle VMs and snapshot sprawl. SIOS iQ identifies under-used virtual machines and unnecessary snapshots and provides the potential monthly savings for eliminating them.
Availability and pricing
The SIOS iQ is generally available today. The list price is $150 per month per host. SIOS iQ is a subscription based solution with 24x5 support. There is also a free, limited edition offered to test it out.