August 17th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Spectra Logic Announces Verde DPE
Today Spectra Logic Corporation announced its new high-density, bulk storage NAS disk platform, the Spectra Verde Digital Preservation Enterprise (DPE). The Verde DPE utilizes Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology to provide capacities of 180TB per rack unit for a cost as low as 9¢/GB raw.
Spectra built off of the technology used in its Spectra nTier Verde improving its performance with cache, increasing its density with SMR drives, while retaining its reliability and its cost-effective benefits. Spectra is using drive managed SMR drives from Seagate such as their Archive HDD. Spectra states that they can optimize SMR technology by its unique ZFS implementation. They will also be using ZFS software RAID on the DPE, which they claim will provide “unmatched data integrity with RAID Z3 triple parity, automatic rebuild to global spare drives, continuous data checksum, and asynchronous replication.”
Each Spectra Verde DPE is 200TB and can be expanded up to over 7PB per rack. The DPE is ideal for bulk storage, archive, large files, bulk deletes, and infrequent changes. Spectra states that the DPE is also power efficient with each unit using less power than a hair dryer. The DPE also comes with a built-in NFI portal provides an S3 link to Spectra tape libraries through the BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway, creating a genetically diverse storage strategy.
Key features include:
- Digital preservation for enterprise as low as 9¢/GB raw
- Expandable to 7.4 PB raw in a single rack – 2.5 more dense than most other systems on the market
- Triple-parity RAID Z3 with continuous data checksum, pushing probability of data loss to 1 in over 2 million years when properly monitored and maintained
- CIFS and NFS interfaces included; NFS acceleration kit available as an option
- 1 GB per second in bulk storage applications
Availability and pricing
The Spectra Verde PDE is available now and pricing starts as low as 9¢/GB (USD).