August 23rd, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Spectra Logic & Komprise Work Together To Tackle Exponential Data Growth
Today Spectra Logic and Komprise announced that they have worked together, creating a new data storage solution. This new solution is for Spectra Logic customers struggling with exponential data growth. Using the solution, customers will be able to optimize their storage and control costs using file analytics and tiered storage.
An overwhelming majority of the world’s data was created in the last two years. More and more organizations are storing this Big Data as they have learned valuable insights can be gained from it. However, a majority of this data, 50-80%, is rarely accessed but still stored on primary data mediums. This process is happening in an effort to avoid disrupting users and applications. Spectra Logic and Komprise have worked on a solution to help companies save costs per TB.
With a simple point and click, Komprise’s data management software can automatically and transparently analyze large data sets and find cold (or unused) data and move it to Spectra Logics Verde DPE. This move does not result in any changes to user or application access and both companies claim users can see savings as high as 70% of costs per TB.
The Verde DPE is a NAS disk platform that utilizes SMR technology for high-density, cost-effective bulk storage. Spectra Logic states that the Verde DPE enables companies to digitally preserve data forever. Adding Komprise’s software not only allows companies to move cold data, but the data will remain seamlessly accessible with no changes to users or applications. Also, users will be able to better forecast ROI of various data policies and quickly adjust storage to meet business objectives.
Features of the Komprise-Spectra Verde DPE solution include:
- Integrated solution with Spectra Verde DPE and Komprise
- Ease of use - point Komprise at storage and gain insights into data growth and usage in minutes
- Raises the bar on integration for archive data management
- Adaptive management adds intelligent automation
- Adds new levels of customer intelligence via predictive ROI indicators
- Verde DPE is expandable to 180TB raw per rack unit – 2.5 more dense than most other systems on the market
- Triple-parity RAID Z3 with continuous data checksum, pushing probability of data loss to 1 in over 2 million years when properly monitored and maintained
- CIFS and NFS interfaces included; NFS acceleration kit available as an option
- 1 GB per second in bulk storage applications