July 20th, 2016 by Adam Armstrong
Spectra Logic’s BlackPearl Integrates With Amazon & Cyberduck
Spectra Logic has announced that it has made enhancements to its BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway that enables direct archive to Amazon’s public cloud offering. BlackPearl can now integrate directly with Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) Standard, and can automatically restore data archived to Glacier and Infrequent Access. Spectra Logic also announced the certification of the Cyberduck open source client software tool with its BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway.
As we previously wrote, Spectra Logic’s BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway sits in front of the deep storage tape libraries and can easily be used as a tier for deep storage, is cost-effective, and has extremely high scalability. The BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway is aimed at organizations where data is a significant part of their operations. The direct archive into Amazon public cloud adds a new tier of data storage alongside its tiering to nearline and tape.
Integrating Cyberduck with the BlackPearl will give users the ability to drag-and-drop data between BlackPearl objects that reside on Spectra’s ArcticBlue disk or tape libraries, and multiple online cloud object stores. Customers can use Cyberduck to move data between previously disparate storage platforms including local file systems, remote FTP systems, and a host of public cloud storage, including Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Google Cloud Storage and Drive, Microsoft Azure, Rackspace Cloudfiles and iRODS. The integration of Cyberduck will help simplify data management.
The Spectra hybrid storage ecosystem:
- Allows data to be moved easily to the public cloud for backup or disaster recovery.
- Ensures true genetic diversity of data storage via storage on different media types and geographic dispersion of data—two key elements of a solid digital preservation strategy.
- Creates a multi-tier private cloud to store a copy of frequently accessed data on online disk, and archive infrequent or rarely accessed data indefinitely on Spectra ArcticBlue disk-based archive or Spectra Logic tape. BlackPearl also includes an automatic, time-based expiration policy that can be customized by the storage administrator.
- Shares content globally by utilizing the public cloud’s inherent infrastructure to make content available to disparate users and sites worldwide.
- Provides data retrieval management policies to limit or prevent unexpected retrieval charges through BlackPearl’s Advanced Bucket Management.
Spectra BlackPearl with direct archive to Amazon public cloud is expected be available in August 2016. Cyberduck 5.0 is available currently and is free for Spectra customers.