April 8th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Spectra Logic Updates And Enhances BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway
Spectra Logic announced updates and enhancements to their BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway solution. These new enhancements and updates allow users to move their data seamlessly into deep tape storage. Users will easily be able to store massive amounts of data forever for pennies per gigabyte.
Spectra Logic’s BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway sits in front of the deep storage tape libraries and can easily be used as a tier for deep storage, is cost-effective, and has extremely high scalability. The BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway is aimed at organizations where data is a significant part of their operations.
The new enhancements allow users to move data anywhere within the network with simple HTTP commands. Spectra Logic’s command set is DS3 (an extension of S3), which provides additional features for bulk data movement, increasing workflow efficiency. Spectra Logic has released the DS3 browser, its own DS3 client, which is free to the open source community, the Spectra Logic Developer Program. DS3 browser allows simple drag and drop between computers and BlackPearl, gives customers a deep storage solution from a single vendor, and the source code is available for modification to specific workloads.
Not only are Spectra Logic’s Application Program Interface (API) and Software Development Kits (SDKs) available in several programming languages, but are available in the open source community, along with BlackPearl’s RESTful DS3 interface. Developers can build their own applications or modify the software to their specific needs.
Enhancements to BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway include:
- S3 Partial Object Restore allows user to request a piece of an object rather than the whole object increasing efficiency of network traffic
- Tape Eject – Eject support for a bucket or individual tapes, with tracking of external media at no extra charge
- Backups of the object database, which keeps track of the objects/files in BlackPearl, are now automatically copied to tape
- TS1150 tape drive technology support
- Tape Cache capacity increased from 28TB to 56TB standard with larger capacities available; now supporting 8TB HDDs along with the current 4TB HDDs
- Throughput performance increased to 800 MB/s using 6 to 8 LTO-6 tape drives attached to one BlackPearl Gateway
- Increased cache performance of 1GBps
BlackPearl Deep Storage Gateway specifications:
- Form factor: 4U
- Sustained to tape: 800MB/s
- Burst to cache: 1,000MB/s
- Host: 1x Dual Port 10 GigE HBA
- Tape: Dual Port 8Gb FibreChannel (LC) HBA or QuadPort SAS HD (SFF-8644) HBA
- Dimension (HxWxD): 7 x 17.2 x 27.5 in
- Weight: 104 lbs.
The above updates and enhancements are available now.