March 7th, 2014 by Lyle Smith
Supermicro SuperSBB 2U/3U Cluster-in-a-Box Storage Solutions Announced
Supermicro has announced new 2U/3U Cluster-in-a-Box (CiB) storage solutions, which are certified and preinstalled with Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition. With the SuperSBB hardware running Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition, businesses have access to the latest storage innovations from Microsoft, such as Data Deduplication and Storage Spaces for maximizing and scaling your storage capacity; Storage Tiers, SMB Direct, SMB Multichannel, and NIC Teaming for maximum performance; and Enhancements to Failover Clustering and Hyper-V for improved reliability.
Base configurations are equipped with fully redundant hardware optimized for high capacity, expandability and low latency performance while the 3U/32TB model (SSG-6037B-CIB032) features 16x 3.5” hot-swap bays and are optimized for high capacity storage applications. This model ships half populated with 4TB SAS HDDs allowing it to be an affordable option for SMBs and remote offices to stay online 24/7. The 2U/20TB form factor model (SSG-2027B-CIB020H) boasts 24x 2.5” hot-swap drive bays that are fully populated with both SSD and HDD media. This model is ideal for high transactional and database-heavy applications and provides the continuous availability and performance usually excluded in smaller user environments.
Additionally, up to four Supermicro JBODs (16x 3.5” hot-swap bays) can be cascaded behind the CiB solution, which provide over 400TB of performance tiered high-availability storage.
3U Cluster-in-a-Box Storage Server and 2U Cluster-in-a-Box Storage Server specifications:
Two hot-pluggable systems (nodes), each supporting:
- Dual Intel Xeon processor E5-2403 (1.8GHz)
- 32TB (SSG-6037B) raw storage capacity in 16x Hot-swap 3.5" SAS2 HDD bays populated with 8x 4TB nearline SAS HDDs
- 20TB (SSG-2027B) raw storage capacity in 24x hot-swap 2.5" SAS1/SAS2 drive bays populated with 4x SSDs and 20x 1TB nearline SAS HDDs
- 64GB (SSG-6037B), 32GB (SSG-2027B) up to 192GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC reg. DIMM; 6x DIMM sockets (3 per CPU)
- 3x PCI-E 3.0 slots per node (can be used for host or storage expansion)
- I/O ports: 2x GbE LAN (1 for IPMI 2.0w/ Virtual Media/KVM over LAN), SAS 2.0 (6Gb/s) JBOD ports
- Dual-port 10GBase-T (AOC-STG-i2T) or SFP+ network (AOC-STGN-i2S) Add-on-Card options
- Internal 1x 64GB SATA DOM for Windows Server OS boot drive
- Redundant Platinum Level high efficiency (95%+) 920W Red