March 10th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
Synology DiskStation DS216j Now Available
Synology has announced the availability of the the DS216j, a 2-bay NAS powered by a dual-core CPU with FPU and designed for home media streaming, file sharing and backup. The DS216j’s use of FPU speeds up thumbnail generation and is quoted to deliver file transfer speeds of 112.75MB/s read and 97.6MB/s writes when configured in RAID1. The main difference between the DS216j and the DS216 is mainly the CPU frequency, which boasts 1.0GHz and 1.3GHz, respectively.
The DS216j is also built to be energy efficient, as it consumes just 14.85W during peak usage and 6.95 W when hibernating. The brightness of the front LED indicators can be adjusted with 4 levels of intensity; users can also customize and set up a schedule to apply to the front LED brightness for even more power efficiency.
The DS216j offers a plethora of multimedia tools for easy management. For example, the Photo Station’s allows users to organize photos into customized categories, smart albums, and blog posts as well as the ability to easily link them to social media websites. Audio Station has a built-in lyrics plugin, Internet radio, and support for DLNA, AirPlay, and Bluetooth speakers while Video Station allows owners to watch movies and TV shows online. You can also record programs with a DVB-T, DVB-S or DTMB tuner
Like all recent DiskStations, DS216j leverages Synology’s powerful DiskStation Manager (DSM), which is packed full of applications from multimedia file sharing to quick and easy backup. The DS216j also comes with a hardware encryption engine, allowing encryption calculation tasks to be offloaded away from the main CPU.
DiskStation DS216j Specifications:
- CPU: Marvell Armada 385 88F6820 dual-core 1.0GHz
- Hardware encryption engine
- Floating point unit
- RAM size: DDR3 512MB
- Compatible drive type: 3.5” or 2.5” SATA III/II x 2 (hard drives not included)
- Max internal raw capacity: 16TB (8TB x 2 hard drive) (The actual capacity will differ according to volume types)
- External ports: USB 3.0 port x 2
- Size (HxWxD): 165mm x 100mm x 225.5mm
- Weight: 0.88kg
- LAN: Gigabit (RJ-45) x 1
- Wireless support
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- AC input power voltage: 100V to 240V
- Operating temperature: 5°C to 40°C (40°F to 104°F)
- Storage temperature: -20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% RH
The Synology DiskStation DS216j is now available worldwide.