November 5th, 2013 by Lyle Smith
Synology DS214+ Dual-Bay NAS Announced
Synology has announced the all-new DS214+ NAS optimized for small businesses. The new dual-bay NAS sets a new benchmark for price and performance with read/write speeds nearly doubling since its predecessor, the DS213+. Additionally, the DS214+ takes full advantage of its new dual-NIC design by enabling link aggregation (LAG) for increased throughput and failover. With LAG enabled, the DS214+ can now achieve read and write performance over 200MB/s and 150MB/s respectively.
The new case design makes installation and maintenance easier than ever with hot-swappable bays that use Synology's new tool-less drive caddies. Each bay can also be locked to prevent accidental removal. In addition, the DS214+ has a faster Dual-Core ARM processor with a full gigabyte of RAM. The unit is especially responsive when it comes to multitasking with Synology’s DiskStation Manager 4.3.
With DSM 4.3, the DS214+ supports features such as:
- Cloud Station with selective sync – Keep files, file-types, and folders in sync across all devices
- Encrypted network backup over Rsync, HTTPS, and VPN connections – Keep data transfers private between networks
- File Station folder link sharing – Easily share data without having to set up custom permissions
- LDAP Directory Server – Backup and restore LDAP databases
- iOS, Android, and Windows Phone support – Convenient remote access
Synology also announced the DS214 single-role edition (DS214se) both for home enthusiasts and small business users that want NAS features but don't require multi-user and multi-task performance. The DS214se hits an affordable price point but still gives buyers access to the full DSM 4.3 operating environment and offers read performance above 100MB/s, and is fully DLNA certified.
Pricing and Availability
The Synology DiskStation DS214+ is now shipping globally and will be available in the United States in early December at an MSRP under $390. The DS214se carries an MSRP of $159.99.
UPDATE 4/10/14 - Synology DS214+ Review Posted