March 7th, 2013 by Josh Shaman
Synology DSM 4.2 Released
Synology announced the release of its latest advancement in NAS technology, DiskStation Manager (DSM) 4.2 with improved features and additions for the SMB enterprise market. Now out of the beta version we covered in January, DSM 4.2 provides both home and SMB enterprise users with upgrades at no cost. Updating is simple and users can just go to downloads on their Synology to find the new version for download.
Included free in DSM 4.2 are more powerful tools for iSCSI. Offered with built-in LUN backup software are both LUN Cloning, offering near-immediate LUN Replicas, and LUN Snapshots that allows for up to 256 snapshots without impacting performance. Also upgraded, Cloud Station 2 allows for a near limitless number of users and folders for syncing and can be intergrated with LDAP domains and Active Directory to improve security and ease management.
Synology is providing greater access to all of their users by making High Availability open to current XS and Intel-Based Plus models. Users can utilize High Availability to cluster their storage and minimize potential downtime.
DSM 4.2 Improvements for Home Users Include:
- QuickConnect which bypasses port forwarding for the upcoming DS Cloud, as well as DS photo+, DS file, and DS audio.
- DS Cloud, the dedicated app for Cloud Station, allowing you to share the latest version of a file
- Video Station – no longer requires a plug-in to play in the browser.
- DS Photo+- automatically upload photos from mobile devices to a user's DiskStation.
DSM 4.2 Improvements for Business Users Include:
- New support for Amazon Glacier for affordable backup to cloud.
- Synology High Availability (SHA) is now available on all x86-based models Mail Server Enhancements.
- LUN Clone and LUN Snapshot help increase Admin productivity.
- Now x86 models are now VMware® vSphere™ 5 VAAI certified, as well as certified for Windows Server® 2012.
- Cloud Station 2 – Sync nearly unlimited folders for file sharing, for files up to 10GB.
Synology NAS units may be upgraded at no cost to DSM 4.2 through the control panel now.