September 4th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Synology RC18015xs+ Named Best Of VMworld 2015
Today Synology announced that its RC18015xs+ was named a finalist for “Best of VMworld 2015” in Virtualization and Cloud Infrastructure category. The RC18015xs+ is designed for small to medium enterprise (SME) starting at $12,000 and supports up to 128 iSCSI targets for VMware hosts. This new solution features massive scalability, great performance, and point-in-time data backup for enterprises. Synology’s award-winning OS, DiskStation Manager, powers the new solution.
The RC18015xs+ gained the honors by being a high availability cluster used for virtual storage, can scale up to 1.4 PB, and handles 2,000 users. Judges were from an independent team comprised of experts and editors from SearchServerVirtualization.com. Entries were evaluated for innovation, value, performance, reliability, and ease of use.
The solution designed to work as a high-availability, highly-scalable cluster (users need two RC18015xs+ and one RXD1215sas expansion unit). If one controller goes down the other automatically kicks on, keeping the redundancy in the controllers verses the disks. This means only one stack of disks is needed lower the budget for storage by 50%. A company can also buy the unit and slowly or quickly scale up to 1.4PB as the needs demand.
The RC18015xs+ is VMware Certified VAAI iSCSI. When used with vSphere storage performance can increase by 40-90%. And the RC18015xs+ uses NFS storage acceleration to reduce storage processing times.
- Built-in high availability to maximize uptime.
- 90K random IOPs with SSDs – ideal for small business.
- 10 GbE with Link Aggregation support for improved throughput and network redundancy.
- Multipath iSCSI connections for high quality, reliable storage with failover and load balancing.
- iSCSI LUN Backup and Snapshots.
- Thin Provisioning.
- VMotion to allow IT admin to move running virtual machines from one physical server to another without impact to business.
- Built-in encryption with Security Advisor, App Armor, and added safeguards.
Availability and pricing
The RC18015xs+ is available now with the controller costing $3,999.99 and the expansion $3,499.99 bring the starting total to $12,000.