January 7th, 2016 by Lyle Smith
Toshiba Announces New Storage Solutions At CES 2016
Toshiba has announced several storage solutions at CES 2016, including the Canvio Premium, A series of portable hard disk drives (HDDs) featuring both USB Type-A and USB Type-C compatibility; the Transmemory EX Dual, a dual port Type-A and Type-C flash drive engineered for quick and easy transfers between devices; the Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drive, a high capacity storage solution in a compact design; and the TransferJet Wireless SD Memory Card Class 10, designed for users who require both speed and convenience.
The Canvio Premium portable drives offer users a convenient and user-friendly storage solution that is compatible with USB 3.0 devices and USB Type-C devices due to its included onboard adapter. Canvio Premium portable HDDs are now available for purchase in capacities of 1TB, 2TB and 3TB capacities for $84.99, $129.99 and $159.99 respectively.
The Transmemory EX Dual offers read and write speeds upwards of 95MB/s and 80MB/s, respectively, for quick and easy transfer of content to and from existing devices. The TransMemory EX Dual is slated for a release during the first half of 2016 in a 32GB model for $39.99.
The new Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drives line allows users to store and protect their files in one centralized location. In addition, its bundled NTI Backup Now EZ software gives users the ability to back up their files to the cloud as well as to the hard drive itself.
Other features include:
- Simple plug and play operation for easy installation.
- Compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0.
- Up to 5Gb/s transfer rate.
- Can schedule backups to run automatically at any time.
- Password lock feature to prevent unauthorized access.
- Compact design supports horizontal and vertical orientation.
- Fan-less design for whisper-quiet operation.
- Compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- 2-year standard limited warranty.
Pricing is set at $139.99 for the 3TB, $159.99 for the 4TB, $179.99 for the 5TB, and $249.99 MSRP for 6TB. The Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drives will be available in February at Toshiba.com/us and Amazon.com (the 3TB will be available in March).
TransferJet Wireless SD Memory Card (Class 10) can transfer files to any receiving device that is TransferJet-enabled device at roughly 560MB/s.
Toshiba indicates the following features:
- One of the fastest wireless transmissions available today.
- Simple operation: place two devices within 3CM of each other to initiate transfer.
- Close-proximity data transmission ensures stable transfer and minimizes risks of data theft.
- Supports Incremental Data Transfer to copy all files.
- Supports Selected Data Transfer to copy only chosen files.
- Transfer a 4.7 GB movie in two minutes.
- Instantly transfer files to any Android, iOS or PC device that is equipped with a TransferJet wireless adapter.
- 5-year standard limited warranty.
Pricing is currently set at $79.99 for the 16GB model and should be available later this month at Toshiba.com/us and Amazon.com.