October 7th, 2015 by Adam Armstrong
Veritas Upgrades NetBackup & Now Supports AWS S3 Standard-IA
Veritas Technologies LLC announced that it has upgraded its enterprise-class data protection solution, NetBackup, to version 7.7.1. This latest upgrade fully supports Amazon Simple Storage Service Standard-Infrequent Access (Amazon S3 Standard-IA). This upgrade gives Veritas customers an expanded choice for backup and recovery within Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Veritas was the information management business side of Symantec. Recently Symantec sold Veritas for $8 billion. NetBackup provides customers with backup and recovery integration within AWS. NetBackup 7.7.1 supports the recently announced Amazon S3 Standard-IA storage service and helps give customers visibility into their data and its management in hybrid architectures including AWS. The support of S3 Standard-IA gives customers an enterprise-class backup and recovery solution for migration to AWS.
Along with support for S3 Standard-IA, the latest upgrade of NetBackup further enhances its existing support for AWS GovCloud (US) Region. Veritas is extending its support to AWS Commercial Cloud Services (C2S) Region. Now customers of C2S can also leverage this enterprise backup solution.
Other enhancements of NetBackup 7.7.1 include:
- Accelerator for NetApp NDMP–full backups at the speed of an incremental
- Windows System State incremental backups–faster Windows backups with less storage space
- VMware Tags–select, protect, and retain VMs based on tags
- Amazon S3 Standard – IA–back up data to this new cloud storage service from AWS
- AWS Private Clouds–connector support for GovCloud and Commercial Cloud Service (C2S)
- Day one support for Microsoft Exchange 2016–start backing up Exchange 2016 right now
- Microsoft SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups–long time coming, but they are now supported
- Oracle Pluggable Databases–protect these new Oracle 12c database types
- Java console improvements–single sign on, type-in search, faster activity monitor, and better filtering
The NetBackup 7.7.1 upgrade is available to current customers now.